মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

10.Easter - Phillip on an Island




Nancy  comes  to  bring  me  dinner.  She  says  it’s  a
special Easter dinner. It’s 1993. I  am thirteen years old. I  do
not  feel  thirteen.  I   still  feel  eleven.  I   don’t  feel  like  a
teenager. Dinner  is  corned  beef  and  cabbage.  It’s  good.
Usually  they bring me  fast  food. So  it’s nice when  I  get a
home-cooked meal.  I   tell her  I ’m  so  lonely  to please  stay
and chat for a little bit and she says she will. I  have asked
her  in  the past  to stay, but sometimes she says she can’t
because she  feels guilty  for  taking me. She says  it’s hard
for her to be with me. She tells me she wished and prayed
the morning they took me that Phillip would get a migraine
and not be able to go through with it. I  think to myself, Me,
too. As I  finish my dinner she tells me about her day at work
at  the  old  folks’  home.  She  says  she  enjoys  her  job  but
doesn’t  like  all  the  girls  she  works  with.  She  says  they
gossip a  lot. She  tells me  that Phillip is so sweet, how he
comes  to  visit  her  on  her  breaks  and  brings  her  flowers.
Sometimes  they go back  to  the  van and  smoke weed or
she  takes a hit of  the pipe with  crank  in  it. She  says  the
crank helps her stay thin. She doesn’t want to get fat. I  think
that’s weird she spends so much  time worrying about her
weight.  I  don’t  think Phillip helps with her  image when he
talks about the other girls that look at him. The two of them
have such a strange relationship.
She asks me things like what music I  like and I  tell her I
like Disney songs. I  also like Mariah Carey, Wilson Phillips,
and Whitney Houston. I  just want her to like me. I  really hope
she likes me. For some reason I  get the feeling she doesn’t
like me. She says after a while that she needs to go but will
be sleeping with me back here tonight. There was a movie
she wanted to watch called The Unborn; she said she liked
scary movies.  So  I   acted  like  I  wanted  to  see  it.  I   didn’t
really want  to watch a scary movie, but  I  wanted her  to be
happy with me.  I  expected  to see Phillip sometime during
the day, but he never came in. I  tried to think of the last time
I  had seen him and decided it had been a few days at least.
I  wonder where he was. I  was relieved for the release from
the sex, but I  knew the longer he went without it, the longer
the next “run” would be. I  feared his return.
That  night,  Nancy  comes  in  and  locks  the  iron  door
behind  her.  I   thought  it was  strange  because  she  usually
slept  wherever  Phillip  slept.  I   asked  where  he  was.  She
said  he went  to  live  on  an  island with  a  rich  friend  for  a
while. She said he’d be gone for a month. Wow! A WHOLE
MONTH WITH NO SEX!  I   am  so  excited  inside. But  she
looks  sad,  so  I   just  say,  “Fine.” The movie  starts and  it’s
scary and kind of disgusting with  the baby walking around
and killing people. Yuck! Then we hear a noise outside and
we both  jump. Nancy says she’s scared  to go see what  it
was  but  thinks  she  better,  so  she  unlocks  the  door  and
goes outside. She’s back  in  less  than a minute and says
everything looks okay. That the dogs were not barking, so
everything must be okay. She says  I  can sleep with her  in
the big bed, and I ’m grateful because I  didn’t want to sleep
alone. By now  the pullout couch has been replaced with a
real mattress. I  like it a lot better because it doesn’t squeak
like  the  other  pullout  couch  did.  We  go  to  bed.  In  the
morning she wakes up and leaves. I  probably won’t see her
until dinnertime. The loneliness sets in again.
A  few weeks  later when Phillip  returns, he comes  “next
door” where  I  am being  kept.  I  actually  feel happy  to  see
him. He has been gone awhile.  I  missed having someone
to talk to. Nancy doesn’t say much and she cries a lot. I t is
hard to know what she wants, and I  don’t quite know what to
say  to her at  times. She  reminds me  of  a  turtle;  you  can
never quite know what a turtle is thinking. Phillip is easier to
relate to; at least I  know what he is thinking. Phillip makes
me laugh with all his jokes and antics. He says he learned
so much while  he was  away. He  has  come  back with  a
device on his ankle, which I  find strange. He tells me that he
was sent back to prison for the month. He wasn’t really on
an  island with a  rich  friend. He said  the police had  found
some  drugs  in  the  house  and  arrested  him  for  parole
violation.  He  added  it  was  Nancy’s  pipe  that  they  had
found. She had forgotten that she had put it in a drawer in
the house. He asked if Nancy had taken good care of me
and I  said yes. He talked for a while longer and then took a
nap on the bed, while I  read quietly, wondering inside would
this  be  the  end  of  him  hurting me? Somehow  knowing  it
wasn’t.


কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন