মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

12.Learning I Was Pregnant





Easter Sunday, 1994.  I  have been moved back  to  the
studio.
Phillip  said  that  he  thought  he  had  heard  someone
talking  about  police  in  the  neighborhood  and  thought  I
would  be  better  protected  in  the  semi-soundproof  studio.
He said  I  had  to be extra quiet when  I  walked around. He
removed  the wall  that  used  to  separate  the mixing  room
from the music room. Now it is one big room. I  have a new
pallet on the floor in the back corner. There is a partition to
give me a feeling of privacy. It’s Easter and we have been
spending  the  whole  day  together.  Nancy,  Phillip,  and  I .
Phillip and Nancy have a bed in middle of the room. I t is a
mattress with no box spring. We have been watching The
Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston  and  eating  a
ham dinner  that Phillip’s mother Pat made. They both  tell
me to close my eyes. When I  open, I  see an Easter basket.
The  basket  is  filled with  candy  and  it  also  has  two  little
Easter bunnies, a boy and a girl.  I   tell  them  thank you and
that I  love it. Phillip says there is something that he needs to
talk  to  me  about.  He  says  he  and  Nancy  have  been
watching  me  lately  and  noticed  that  I ’d  been  putting  on
weight and waddling instead of walking. I  said I  know. I  told
them I  did feel bigger and that I  didn’t realize I  was walking
funny.  I   told  them my stomach was hurting a  lot,  too. They
said,  “We  think  you may  be  pregnant.”  I   am  stunned  and
scared. What was going to happen to me? What was going
to happen to the baby? I  knew babies were delivered in a
hospital. After all,  that was where my mom had delivered
my little sister. I  wonder how I  could possibly have a baby in
this place. I  will probably have to give her up for adoption,
how  can  I   possibly  raise  a  baby  in  this  environment?  I
wonder if Phillip is happy about this baby. I  don’t feel like I
can ask him in front of Nancy, though, so I  think I  will wait to
ask him  later. When Nancy gets upset about something,  I
don’t see her or she doesn’t talk to me for days.
A  few days  later, on  the  inside  I  am still haunted by  the
thought of having to give up the baby. I  need to talk to Phillip
about it soon. Phillip brings China, a beautiful blond cocker
spaniel,  to visit me. China belongs  to his mother, Pat. He
told me how he found her. He said he was at a gas station
a few years back with his door open while he filled the car
up with gas. All of a sudden this dog jumped in. He took her
home. When his mother is away from the house at work (I
learned she works at a school as  the head  janitor), Phillip
brings China  to  see me. He  knows  I   really  love  animals.
China always makes me feel so much better. She lays her
head on my ever-expanding, painful tummy. All my worries
just seem to melt away. Laying there with China next to me
and  feeling  the  baby move  and  kick my  ribs,  I   come  to
realize  that  I  can never give up my baby. Giving her away
was not even an option.  I  would  figure a way out before
ever gave her away. I  don’t know how I  would do that, but
know I  wouldn’t stop until I  did.
The  connection  I   feel  for  this baby  inside of me ever
time I  feel it move is an incredible feeling. I  talk to my bell
and tell it stories. Every time I  feel the baby kick, I  feel less
and less alone in this world. My body is growing every day
accommodating  the baby  inside of me. My  ribs are being
pushed  out  and  it’s  very  painful.  I   can  feel  my  body
changing.  I ’m not sure how  far along  I  am, but  I ’m  thinking
I’ve  been  pregnant  for  a  while  and  just  didn’t  show  right
away. That’s what Phillip says. He seems very happy  that
I ’m  having  a  baby  and  never  brought  up  anything  about
giving it away.


Reflection

I’ve been thinking back about what I’ve been writing and
I ’m not so sure things went exactly the way Phillip said the
went.  For  example,  it’s  a  load  of  malarkey  that  some
random dog  just happened  to  jump  into his car at  the gas
station. I t doesn’t ring true now that I  think about it. I  wonder
how he actually got China. At  the  time  I   had  no  ability  to
doubt  him.  I   remember  thinking,  Dogs  don’t  just  jump  in
strangers’  cars.  He  would  always  talk  about  how  much
animals loved him. He had an Irish setter named Baby. He
said that she had puppies and those puppies would come
running when he would make this special call. Nancy would
always say how much animals really liked him, too. I  never
really  saw  it  as  something  special,  though. Animals  like
their  owners.  Even  when  an  animal  is  mistreated  or
abused,  some  animals  crave  love  and  affection  so much
they would do anything for that attention.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন