মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

8.The First “Run”





I just want to sleep. I  sleep a lot, because when I  sleep I
can  dream  about  better  things,  like  being  home with my
mom and sister. When I  wake it is dark, but something has
woken me up. I  hear the rattle of the lock. He is coming. He
usually doesn’t come this late. I  have not thought he would
come this late. I  should have thought of all the possibilities
and this wouldn’t have happened. I  am scared. What does
he  want?  I   want  to  sleep.  He  enters  with  a  flashlight.  I
pretend to be sleeping. I  squeeze my eyes tight. How long
can I  pretend to be asleep? I  can hear him crouching down
in  front of me. Go away,  I  scream  in my head. He shakes
my shoulder and I  pretend to wake up. He whispers to me,
“It’s time to wake up, we are going next door,” and puts the
blanket on me.
A few days ago, he brought in a pink flowered one-piece
jumpsuit for me to wear and a pair of undies. I t feels good
t o have  something  to  wear.  I   hate  taking  it  off  when  he
comes  for  sex. Where  are  we  going?  This  is  different,  I
haven’t left this building since I  got here. He says I  need to
be quiet as we make our way out of  the building.  I  cannot
see where he is leading me, but we are there quickly, so it
must not be far away. I  have taken about ten steps when we
arrive “next door.”
We have entered another room. This one is different. I it’s
all one  room with  three windows. Two of  the windows are
on  each  side  of  the  building  and  the  third  one  is  by  the
door. On the back wall halfway up is a cooler unit in the wall,
but  there are no windows on  that wall.  I  see  that  there are
iron bars on these windows, too, before he moves to cover
them with  towels. He  is using a  flashlight and doesn’t  turn
on  the  lights until he has  locked  the doors. There are  two
doors  back-to-back—one  on  the  outside  with  heavy  iron
bars  and  the  inner wooden  door  can  be  locked  from  the
inside.  I   am  standing  frozen  with  fear  and  shaking  from
head to toe. The unknown is the scariest thing for me and I
have no idea what to expect. I  feel so alone I  even long to
go back to my little room next door. At least I  know what to
expect over  there.  I   look around  the  room.  I  glance at  the
three windows he has now covered with  towels and  think,
No one to save me from this, nowhere to go.
There  is  a  blue  couch  in  the  center  of  the  room;  it
separates  the  room  into  two halves. A partition separates
the back of  the couch with a desk on  the other side. The
desk has lots of junk on it. As I  look at the door, to the right
is  a  little  refrigerator  that  sits  on  a  wooden  cabinet  with
storage underneath. T o the left of the door there is a toilet
with  a  built-in  bucket. As  I   turn  around  I   see  beyond  the
couch a TV on a stand. I  notice a black trash bag sitting by
the couch. There is also a stool under the window.


Reflection

I  just noticed I  was trying to distract myself from writing
this part. I  saw a spot on my computer and for some reason
it  was  very  important  to  get  that  spot  off  right  now  even
though  I  know  it’s been  there  for months. My mind knows
that what comes next is not easy for me. I  am finding ways
to avoid it. Avoiding things has worked to my advantage in
the  past.  At  other  times,  like  now,  it  is  just  an
inconvenience. I  want to not be afraid of letting people know
what really happened to me all those long years ago.
When I  was first found I  was adamant that there would be
no book, no one would ever  know what happened.  In  the
months that have followed I  feel I  have grown so much. With
the  help  of  my  mom  and  my  family  and  especially  my
therapist I  have come to realize that I  can now do things for
myself. I  can make my own decisions and not worry about it
if  it’s not what someone else wants. But most of all  I  have
come to realize that I  no longer need to protect him, Phillip
Garrido. He no  longer, or ever really, needed or deserved
my protection. I t has taken time for the guilt to wear off. But
after living with him for so long I  am amazed at how good I
feel that I  am no longer subject to him.
I t  is  incredible,  the depth of his manipulation.  I t did not
feel  like manipulation at  the  time. Only distance and  time
have  revealed what  life was  like  there and what  life  looks
like from the outside. While I  was there I  would tell myself it
could be worse;  there are so many people  in  the world  in
worse situations  than mine. At  least  I  had a place  to  live.
But what kind of  life did  I  have  really? No house. No  real
family.  No  friends.  No,  life  was  not  what  it  should  have
been. My life depended on Phillip Garrido.
In my heart I  do not hate Phillip. I  don’t believe in hate. T o
me  it wastes  too much  time. People who  hate waste  so
much of  their  life hating  that  they miss out on all  the other
stuff out here. I  do not choose to live my life that way. What
is done is done. I ’m looking to the future. For the first time in
a  long  time  I   get  to  look  to  the  future  instead  of  just  the
present.  I   have  lived  one  day  to  the  next  never  daring  to
look ahead.  I  never knew what was going  to happen.  I f all
my heart was  filled up with hate and  regrets and what  ifs,
then what else would it have room for? I  won’t say every day
has been glorious and wonderful, but even on the bad days
I  can still say one thing—I  am free … free to be the person I
want  to  be …  free  to  say  I   have my  family  and  now  new
friends … I  have nothing to feel ashamed about. I  am strong
and want to continue writing my story …
And  then  I  see  it.  In  the corner by  the desk  there  is a
bucket of water. Oh no!  I   think  to myself  I  don’t want  to …
No! … No! But what can  I   really do? Nothing. There  is no
one here but me and him. The door is locked. I  want to cry.
But  I  don’t. He  is  talking now. He  talks a  lot,  I  notice, but
doesn’t  really  say  important  things.  He  just  likes  to  hear
himself  talk,  I   think.  I t’s  easier  to  just  agree  with  him
because  if  you  don’t  he’ll  explain  it  in  detail  and  go  on
forever. He says something about going on a “run.” I  doubt
if he means he’s going outside  for a real run;  it’s  late and
dark outside. He explains to me that a “run” is something he
is going to be doing periodically and that I  will be staying up
with him for a few days depending on how much crank he is
going to take. He says that crank is a drug that lets him stay
up  for  longer  periods  of  time. He  says  he  really  amazes
himself by how much crank he can smoke or snort at one
time. He says he can take hit after hit and it doesn’t hit him
as hard as a  regular person. He says he has out-smoked
his friends before and he has a high tolerance to all forms
of drugs. He says he is explaining all this to me so I  know
what’s going on and I  will know what is expected of me. He
says the “run,” as he calls staying up for days, will be a time
for him  to  fulfill all his  fantasies and  I  will help him do  that.
He says  the crank allows him  to  focus on one  thing  for a
long  time. He says  first he’s going  to get me dressed  the
way he wants and then depending on his mood, the rest will
consist of me masturbating him, sucking his penis, me  in
whatever position he desires, and dancing over him while
he masturbates. He says for me to start by getting cleaned
up with  the bucket of water  in  the corner. He wants me  to
shave my vagina because he doesn’t  like hair because  it
gives him a  rash. After  that he  is going  to dress me and
then  I   can  put  on  some makeup. Makeup? Why  does  he
want me  to put on makeup? Why do  I  have  to do any of
this?  It’s  stupid  and  I   hate  it.  I   don’t want  to  do what  he
wants. I  don’t want to take off my clothes. I  don’t want to do
any of  it.  I   just want  to go home!  I   think  to myself. On  the
outside all I  let go is a few tears. I ’m afraid he will see me
crying and become angry. He has already told me not to cry
because  it will  interfere with his  fantasy.  I ’m  trying so hard
not to cry.
He sees me hesitating and picks up  the stun gun,  I  go
over to the bucket and clean myself a little, when I  am done
he drags over the bag of clothes and starts to dress me in
tight clothes. He makes holes in weird places.
I  have been standing for what feels like hours now. When
will he get done? Do I  want him to be done? What’s going
to happen next? I  guess he finally is happy with his creation.
He tells me to lay on the bed in a certain way and then he
gets undressed. He has a little bag of white powder. I ’m not
sure what it is. Maybe that’s the crank he talked about. He
shakes  some out on  the desk and uses a  razor blade  to
chop it up a bit, then he puts it into a glass pipe and lights it
and inhales from the other side. He asks if I  want some and
I  say no. He says it helps him stay up, he calls it speed or
crank. I  think it is disgusting. I  hate drugs. Is that why he is
doing  this—because  of  the  drugs? He  also  rolls what  he
calls a  joint and says  its marijuana. He explains  to me he
has a sex problem and that he took me so I  could help him
with his problem so he wouldn’t have to bother anyone else
with his problem. He says it consumes his mind and that by
me giving him an outlet I  am saving others. Why me? Why
can’t he take care of his own problem? I  don’t want others
to be hurt, though. Better me than someone else. The night
seems endless and I  am very tired. He has the lights on. All
of them. I t makes the room so hot. I  have to touch his penis
and  stroke  it  up  and  down;  he  calls  this  “jacking  off.”
Sometimes  he  wants me  to  suck  on  it,  too.  I   hate  it  so
much; it tastes disgusting. I  am afraid the white stuff which
he  said  is  called  cum will  get  in my mouth.  I   think  this  is
really gross. He says  the speed helps him  to prolong  the
sex so he won’t cum  for a while. So  I  don’t have  to worry.
This goes on and on  for a while with him  looking at  these
books he has. They  look  like photo albums, but  they have
kids  from  magazines  cut  out  in  different  positions  with
penises taped on from other magazines. He looks at them
and talks dirty to them, using words that are bad, some of
which I  have never heard before. He keeps doing the same
thing over and over. When will this nightmare end? He also
flips through the channels on the TV. He says he’s looking
for anything with a little girl with shorts on. I  think it is finally
morning now. The sun is coming  through  the windows  that
are covered with towels. I  can see the sun through some of
the  cracks. He  looks at  the  time and he  says  it’s  time  to
have sex. He tells me to lie down on my back. Part of me is
relieved to get it over with. I  was dreading it but want to go
to sleep.  I ’m so  tired. He gets on  top of me and  tells me
he’s going  to  talk  really dirty  to me and  for me not  to be
scared. He says he’s still the same person. He just needs
to release the “monkey on his back.” I  can’t help but cry, but
they  are  silent  tears.  He  fucks me  as  hard  as  he  can  it
seems  like.  He  uses  that  word  a  lot.  My  head  is  being
pushed in between the couch and the pullout bed. I  feel like
I  can’t breathe. He is calling me a fucking whore and a cunt
and  other  things.  I  want  to  be  somewhere  else,  but  I   am
here  and  I  must  not  panic.  I t  hurts  more  when  I   try  to
struggle, so I  try not to get away from him, but it’s hard not
to  want  to  push  away  from  his  sweaty  disgusting  body.
Everything  will  be  okay  I   tell myself.  He  will  be  the  nice
person  soon.  The  one  that  likes  to make me  laugh  and
brings me good  things  to eat.  I   feel his release  in me and
finally  it  is over. He asks  if  I ’m okay and  I   look at him and
burst into tears. He takes me in his arms and says it’s okay,
that he  is done, and  that  I   can get  cleaned up and go  to
sleep. He won’t  bother me  like  this  for  a  while.  I   am  so
scared I  don’t know what to think. I  want to believe him. He
releases me  to get up and put on his pants. He  leaves  to
get me fresh water to bathe with. I  am left alone. I  hear the
lock as  it clicks.  I  wonder why he bothers. Where would  I
go?  I  don’t  know where  I  am.  I   feel  so alone. Who would
want me now? He comes back with the water and I  get up, I
am so sore. I  am also bleeding again. He says it looks like I
started  my  period.  Tomorrow  he  will  bring  me  some
tampons and show me how to use them. For now he gives
me  some paper  towels  to  stick  in my underwear.  I   feel a
little better now that I  am dressed. He takes me back to the
studio and says he will be back later with something really
good to eat. He leaves and I  am scared, tired and alone.
(The buildings that I w rite about are all in the part of the
backyard that Phillip made secret for eighteen years.)




Reflection

T o see myself  in  that moment  is very hard now.  I  was
there and all this crap happened, but as I  look back I  can’t
help but  look  forward.  I   live  in  the present  just as  I  always
have and when I  look back like this I  see a very scared little
girl  just  trying  to survive.  I  wanted  to go home  to my mom
more than anything, but I  didn’t know how. He said he took
me so that he wouldn’t have to hurt anyone else. In a way he
made me feel special. I  felt needed. Why I  felt I  needed that
from this man I  don’t know. He would say terrible things like
he would teach me how to be the best “sex slave” ever. And
then there were other times that he was a very nice person.
I t confused me. When he would use bad language, it would
scare me  and make me  feel  horrible. One  time  he  even
threatened that he was going to sell me. This made me so
scared.  I   didn’t  really  know what  it meant. When  I   asked
why, he said I  wasn’t really doing the things that he wanted
me to do. He said I  cried too much and that it was hard for
him to act out his fantasies when I  was uncooperative and
made  him  feel  bad.  I   remember  I   begged  him  to  please
don’t  make  me  go  with  someone  else,  that  I   would  try
harder, and he could do anything he wanted and I  would not
fight. He said he would have to think about it. He said that
these people that he was going to sell me to were planning
to put me  in a cage.  I t would be  really bad  for me. That  it
would be better for me if I  stayed, but he didn’t know if that
was the thing for him to do. I  remember shaking so hard on
the  couch.  I   didn’t want  to  be  put  in  a  cage. He  left me
thinking  that  that  was  what  was  going  to  happen  to me.
When he  returned  that day and said we were going  to go
on a  “run,”  I  didn’t dare ask  if he had changed his mind.  I
just tried to do everything just the way he told me. He never
followed  through  on  any  of  his  promises.  I   will  probably
never  forget  feeling as afraid as  I  did  that day. He never
mentioned  it  again.  Even  when  I   went  back  to  doing
everything he wanted, I  tried to rebel in my own little ways.
Like sometimes  I  wouldn’t put  in as much effort as  I  could
here and  there.  I  wouldn’t  jack  him  off  as  fast  as  I   could,
forgetting (on purpose) to put lipstick on, and fake sleeping
whenever he was engrossed in the TV. Little things that he
wouldn’t  notice,  but  I   still  felt  good  inside  for  knowing  I
wasn’t trying my best. I  knew when to get serious, though, I
was  beginning  to  get  a  sense  of  his moods  and when  I
could and when I  could not mess around with him.
The “runs” were some of the most horrible moments of
my  life.  I  can’t  think of a good moment even when a  “run”
was over. I  always knew there’d be a next time. I  could see
no end in sight. The horridness of being alone was always
there,  too.  I   really  hated  and  despised  it when  he would
leave me  tied up  in a certain position by  those eye hooks
that screw into the wall. He would screw them into the wall
and then lift my legs with straps in different positions. One
night he had been working on  the position,  trying  to get  it
right for hours and realized he needed to go pick up Nancy
from the nightshift where she worked a convalescent home.
He said he was  just going  to  leave me  tied up because  it
was the perfect position. He was gone for a while. My legs
were in such an awkward position, I  got leg cramps and the
straps hurt my ankles.  I  was  relieved when he got back,  I
wanted to get it over with so I  could be done and go to bed.
Those were horrible times. I  can’t believe I  ever felt sorry for
him. He was  always  saying what  a  good  person  he was
and he didn’t know how else to help his problem. I  needed
to  help  him  so  others  wouldn’t  be  hurt.  He  said,  society
didn’t help people like him and that there were a lot of men
out  there  in  the world with  the  same  problem  as  his. He
would  apologize  to me. He would  cry  after  he was  done
fucking me and beg my forgiveness. He said it would make
him feel better. For a reason I  can’t name, I  knew in those
moments  that  it was  important  to my  survival  that  I   never
truly show how much I  was hurting inside. I  don’t know why,
but after that I  kept my feelings to myself.
Years  later  I   learned  it’s  the  little  things  that  add  up  to
make a person. Back then I  couldn’t see the little things that
added up  to  the bigger picture of who Phillip was on  the
inside. I  only saw what he wanted me to see. And that was
a misunderstood guy with a problem that nobody wanted to
help him with. I  think he felt life was cheating him of what he
wanted. Deep  inside Phillip Garrido  is a very selfish man,
looking only to gratify himself as much as possible while still
projecting to the world a selfless and caring man.
The  first  year  was  the  worst.  I   hated  when  he  would
videotape me and him having sex or me doing some other
degrading  thing. The camera would always have  to be  in
the  right spot and positioned  just  right.  I t was horrible. He
would always assure me  that  the videos were  just  for him
and nobody else would ever see  them. He used  them, he
said, to give me a break. Years later when the sex became
not as  frequent, he  said  that he had destroyed  the  tapes
and got  rid of  them.  I  believed him. Little did  I   know  they
were still on the property, only partly destroyed.
We  called  the  first  room  I   was  taken  to  when  Phillip
kidnapped me  the  “studio” and  later when  the  “runs”  (long
days of sex) started and he  introduced me  to  the second
building in the backyard, we called that “next door.”
Funny,  how  I   can  look  back  now,  and  notice  how  the
“secret  backyard”  didn’t  really  look  so  “secret.”  I t  wasn’t
even  that  well  hidden.  I   was  in  the  middle  of  a
neighborhood.  There were  neighbors  all  around;  the  only
thing  that  was  camouflaged  was  the  gate  leading  to  the
second  backyard.  I   can’t  understand  why  Phillip’s  parole
officers  didn’t  know  anything  about  the  property  and  the
size of  it.  I t makes me believe no one cared or was even
really looking for me. Below is a diagram.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন