মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

13.Driving to a Trailer


Driving to a Trailer


I have been moved back “next door.” Phillip has painted
this room yellow and has put up a wall  to make  it  into  two
rooms. He has given me the one with no windows.
One evening before the baby was born, Phillip came next
door while I  was watching TV. He said that something was
going  on. We  need  to  leave  the  house.  I   haven’t  left  this
place  since  the  day  he  took me  nearly  two  years  ago.  I
asked what was going on, but he ignored me and said that
he would make  sure  the  baby  and  I  were  safe  and  that  I
needed  to  listen  to  him.  He  said  that  someone  told  him
there was  going  to  be  a  raid  on  the  house  and  it wasn’t
safe here right now. He said he was going to put a blanket
over me and lead me to the van. I  was tired and didn’t want
to go. What choice did I  have? He controlled everything. He
said Nancy was waiting in the van for us and had everything
ready. I  asked if I  can take anything with me, and he said no
and if everything goes  right  he will  be  bringing me  home
soon. I  get up and he puts the blanket over me. I  am really
getting scared. What  if something happens  to him? What
would I  do? I  feel like I  can’t catch my breath. I  must breathe
in and out slowly and tell myself everything will be fine. He
leads me out to the van, and I  climb in the back and before I
can ask where he wants me to sit, he says for me to crawl
under the backseat and he was going to put some boxes in
front  of  the  seat. Oh my God,  that’s  ridiculous,  I   think  to
myself!  Can’t  I   just  sit  over  in  the  corner?  He  says  that
would  be  dangerous.  Dangerous  to  whom?  But  I   don’t
argue; I  just crawl under the seat. I t’s kind of hard because
my belly is dragging on the floor making it very difficult. I ’m
afraid I  might hurt the baby. I  wiggle around and try to find a
comfortable position. I  finally settle on half on my side and
forward  a  little  ’cause  the  seat  is  kind  of  low.  Not much
wiggle room. I  am so uncomfortable! I  want to be in my own
bed!  I   hear  the  van  start  and  back  out  of  the  driveway.  I
wonder where we  are  heading.  Phillip  thinks  people  can
hear him when he talks, so he told me earlier that whenever
he  addressed me  it  would  sound  like  he  was  talking  to
Nancy. He doesn’t want anyone to think there was another
person in the van.
The  driving  seems  endless.  How  long  have  we  been
driving? What  time  is  it? When we  left  it was  just getting
dark, but now it’s completely dark especially under the seat.
I   must  have  fallen  asleep,  for  when  I   wake  the  van  has
stopped. He helps me to get out. He has to pull me out a bit
because I  am so stiff from being in the same position for so
long. What a relief it is to be out from under the seat. I t’s still
dark out. We are standing in front of a house trailer. I  keep
my  head  down  as  we  go  in.  The  steps  are really  steep.
There is a couch in the living room he says I  can sit there. I
sit and he and Nancy check out  the  rest of  the place. He
comes back and asks  if  I  need anything.  I  ask where we
are. And  he  says  this  trailer  used  to  belong  to  a  friend
named Virginia. She  died  and  left  it  to  him.  I   say  I   really
need  to  use  the  bathroom.  My  bladder  can’t  hold  much
since  I’ve  been  pregnant.  I   follow  him  to  an  actual
bathroom! What joy! I  haven’t used an actually flushing toilet
in so long! And a sink with running water to wash my hands!
I  come out and he says I  should go back to the couch. I  want
to  explore! Explore  an  actual  house—it’s  been  so  long!  I
can see a kitchen and there are bedrooms in the back. But
I  go sit on the couch. I  ask for some water and Nancy gets it
for me. Phillip says that we are going to stay the night here
because  the house  isn’t safe.  I  wonder what’s going on  in
the house. Are  there people  in  the back going  through my
stuff? I  wonder what’s going on. Phillip locks the front door
and says I  can sleep on the couch and he and Nancy will be
in the back bedroom. I t takes a while to fall asleep with all
the  questions  in my  head,  but  I  must  eventually  because
when I  wake it is morning and Phillip and Nancy are talking
in  the kitchen. They must have been waiting  for me  to get
up. When I  do, they say they are going to leave me here for
a  few hours so  that  they can check out  the house and get
some  food  for  me.  He  says  I   can  get  up  to  go  to  the
bathroom, but it would be much better for me to just stay on
the couch and sleep. He  told me  that everything would be
okay and for me not to be scared because he would come
back.  I  was  so  scared he wouldn’t  return  for me and  just
leave me  here  forever  by myself. What would I   do all by myself and pregnant? I  start to cry. I  tell him I  don’t want to
stay alone,  that  I  am scared something would happen. He
continued  to say he had  to go make sure  the house was
okay  and  he  and  Nancy  would  be  back  with  something
good  to eat. So he and Nancy  left and  I  heard  the click of
the  lock.  I   tried  to  fall asleep but sleep would not come.  I
finally  got  up  to  go  to  the  bathroom.  I   thought  to myself,
Since I ’m up I  might as well check out the rest of the place. I
know he  told me not  to, but what harm could a  little peek
make? I  tiptoe down the hall and think to myself, What if he
finds  out? He  knows  so many  things. What  if  he  knows  I
looked around? Curiosity has gotten the better of me. The
first room all the way down the hall is a pretty good size, but
all that it contains is a mattress on the floor. There’s another
room across from the bathroom. I t looks like a screened-in
porch. I t would be so nice to have this as a room for me and
the baby one day. Phillip says he  is going  to  try  to  find a
way  to  get  this  into  the  backyard  so  we  can  use  it. We
would have a bathroom and a  full  kitchen! Oh my God,  it
would be so wonderful. I  hope he can find a way to do it. I
walk back into the living room. All the furniture in here looks
so old and dusty. The kitchen is pretty nice, though. I  open
the refrigerator and dream about actually being able to use
this every day. Always  to have  food available, what a  joy
that  would  be!  I   finally  settle  back  on  the  couch  and  fall
asleep. When I  wake it is to the sound of the door opening. I
get scared for a minute. What if it’s not them? But it is and I
am so happy  to see  them. They have brought chili beans.
Nancy heats them up on the stove and fixes me a bowl with
a flour tortilla to go with it. Phillip says that it is now safe to
go back home but not until it gets dark outside. They go in
the back to take a nap and I  stay on the couch and wait. I ’m
in my mind,  thinking  about  what my  life  used  to  be  like.
Reliving memories is one of the ways I  keep my past alive
inside. I  don’t want to forget my family back home. I  fear that
one day I  won’t remember what my mom looks like. Already
her image is fading from my mind. Soon night comes and
Phil  is ready  to go but seems on edge again. He says he
thinks  it best  if we drive around some more before we go
home.  I   just  want  to  go  home. What’s  going  on  that  he
thinks we can’t? Again he doesn’t answer. I  get back in the
van and under  the seat. After  the  first  time  I  know what  to
expect down here, but that doesn’t make it any easier. After
a while of driving I  start to feel really sick. I  call out to them
and  tell  them  I   feel  like  I ’m going  to  throw up. Phillip pulls
over, and Nancy comes to the back with a plastic bag. They
tell me  to hold on awhile  longer.  I   try but  the movement of
the car brings my  lunch of beans  right up. The bag  is  too
small to contain all the beans. I ’m at a very bad angle to be
throwing  up  and  I   don’t  have  much  room  to  maneuver.
Throwing up does make me  feel better, but now  I  have  to
lay in this awful disgusting mess. Finally Phillip announces
that we are home. Nancy comes to the back and takes the
bag  and  cleans  up  the  rest  of  the  puke  from  the  carpet.
Then I  come out with a sheepish grin on my face and say,
“I ’m really sorry.” I  am thinking, Hey, it’s not my fault. I  don’t
see why we were driving  in  the  first place. But of course  I
say nothing of the sort, I  wouldn’t talk back to him like that. I
am  glad we  are  home.  I   get  cleaned  up  and  change my
clothes  and  go  to  bed  in my  own  bed.  Phillip  says  that
whatever was going on has passed and there’s nothing to
worry about for now.


Reflection

I  still don’t know what to make of that day. I  was just glad
when it was over. I’ve always thought I  am a go-with-the-flow
kind of person. My mom says  that my nickname was  “the
Bull” when I  was little, but I  don’t remember that. She says I
was  real  stubborn  when  it  came  to  something  I   really
wanted; that I  would dig my heels in and be very persistent
about  whatever  it  was.  I   never  thought  of  myself  as
stubborn, but looking back I  can see some instances where
that would fit me. In the beginning I  asked a lot of questions
about everything. I  think I  was always an inquisitive person. I
learned when to back off with the questioning early on with
Phillip.  Sometimes  not  asking  questions  made  things
easier. Phillip’s verbal abuse was very effective. Although I
would have  liked  some direct answers  to my questions,  I
learned to not question too much because the answer I  got
would  be  lengthy  and  in  the  end  make  me  forget  the
question  in  the  first  place.  The  fact  is,  I   do  have  many
questions such as: Whose trailer were we using that night?
What did he think he was hearing? What really happened to
the person that lived there? I  might never know the answers
to these questions.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন