মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

18.The Starting of Printing for Less





Phillip  has  rented  a  computer  from  the  rental  store.
Phillip  has  also  bought  a Canon  printer. He  has  plans  to
start his own business. He says many people are in need of
business cards, and he says he wants  to start a business
and make them for a lot less than other companies. His first
job  comes  from  his  old  boss,  Marvin,  from  the  nursery.
Phillip  quit  that  job  around  the  time  that  he  finished  the
fence.  Nancy  once  told  me  that  before  that  job,  Phillip
worked  at  the  convalescence  home  she worked  at  as  a
janitor.  She  said  everyone  loved  him  there,  but  that  the
manager had to fire him for coming in late too many times.
I t was  because  he was  always  doing  drugs.  Nancy  said
that’s  the  reason  they  fired her,  too. One  too many  times
coming in late. She found another job working at a program
called  CAP  (Client Assistance  Program).  She  loves  her
new  job  she  says. Working with  the  “clients,” as she was
told to refer to the disabled people, is really fun, she says.
She says one of  the clients named Bernard  is  really  loud
and yells everything but is a very sweet person. She doesn’t
like the other workers there too much, except one named B
who doesn’t gossip  too much. Phillip eventually wants her
to  stop working when  the  new  baby  comes. He wants  to
have the printing business up and running by then.
I   like  the  computer.  It’s  so  new  and  can  do  so  many
things.  He  had  an  older  computer,  but  it  was  black  and
white  and  very  old.  This  one  is  amazing.  Phillip  lets me
come travel from “next door” to the studio at certain times of
the days now, like when Nancy is at work. I  bring the baby
over, too. I  play with A on the computer. Phillip has bought a
few  learning  games  for  the  computer. One  is  a Sesame
Street  letter  and  counting  game. A  is  learning  so much.
When she has a nap, I  learn a lot about the computer, too. I t
is  color  and  has  an  operating  system  called  Windows.
Phillip has bought a program  to make  the business cards
on  called Corel Print House.  I   like  to make  things  for  the
baby with  it.  I  am putting  together a scrapbook, and  I  also
like  to write stories with  the program called Word.  I   think  I
can  make  designs  look  better  than  Phillip  can.  He  has
showed me some of the business cards he has made, and
I   think  I   can make  them  better.  I   think  I   can  improve  the
cutting, too. His are not cut right because he wants to get it
done in a hurry and tries to cut ten sheets at once. I  think he
should cut one at a time. He says that would take too long. I
tell him, no, it won’t and ask if I  can try one sheet and see.
He  lets me  try and  I  am able  to make a pretty good cut.  I
have  the  idea  if  I  put  tiny  lines  for me  to  see  to  cut on  it
would make  it much easier. So  I   try  that on  the computer
and print a new sheet and they are much easier to cut. They
look good, too. The next day he brings home my first job. It
is  a  wedding  announcement  for  someone.  I   work  up  a
design  and  he  takes  it  to  the  customer  and  gets  it
approved. When he brings it back to me, I  print them on the
cards  the woman  has  selected  to  use.  The  job  turns  out
great  and  I   am  very  proud  of myself. Phillip  says  that  he
thinks I  should do the workups and he will get the jobs and
help  with  the  printing.  I   continue  to  learn  and  get  better
using  the  computer, and Phillip  brings  in more  and more
jobs. It’s so nice to not be bored all the time like before.



Birth of Second Baby

On  November  12,  1997,  I   awake  at  eleven  p.m.  in
terrible  pain.  The  pain  has  come  out  of  nowhere.  I   don’t
remember feeling bad the previous day. A is asleep beside
me and  I  know  I  must wake her up and bring her with me
next  door  to  the  studio,  where  Phillip  and  Nancy  are
sleeping. At least I  hope they are sleeping. I  know the night
before  they were on a  “run,” but  I  hope  they are done  for
now because I  think the baby is coming.
I  shake A up and tell her that the baby is coming and we
need  to go  to Daddy.  I  hope  that Phillip doesn’t get mad
that I  am coming to wake him up, but as the pain gets more
unbearable  I  have no choice.  I  start  the walk over with A’s
hand  in mine. When we walk  the  few  feet over  to  the next
building,  I  must  let  go  of A’s  hand  for  a  second  and  use
both hands to yank the heavy studio door open. Sometimes
during  the  day when  I   am  alone I   stand  and  stare  at  this
door that once was my prison. I  am in another kind of prison
now.  Free  to  roam  the  backyard  but  still  prisoner
nonetheless. I  feel I  am bound to these people—my captors
—by invisible bonds instead of constant handcuffs. No one
seems to care that I  am there.
As I  finally get the door open and once again gather A’s
hand,  I   help  her  up  the  steps  and  into  the  warm  room
beyond.  I t  is dark and  I   fear  falling,  so  I   flick on  the  light.
Phillip has once again erected the wall that used to be my
first prison and is now the room they use to sleep in. He has
made the top shelf that once held one of his keyboards into
a bed and  the bottom part  is another bed. He has sold or
pawned most of his music equipment away for drug money
and diapers. He is sleeping in the top bunk as I  shake him
awake with a smile on my face and hope in my heart that I
will  not  get  in  trouble,  but  also  not  really  caring  at  the
moment. He comes awake with a start; he must have been
sleeping heavy. He asks what  the matter  is and  I   tell him  I
think the baby is coming. He wakes Nancy and they fly into
action.  Nancy  going  to  the  house  to  get  towels  and  hot
water, and he’s getting the first aid kit and whatever else he
needed  for  the delivery. He  tells me not  to worry; he knew
what to do. The contractions were coming closer and closer
now and I  really just wanted to lie down. Nancy came back
and is making me a place for me to lie. I  lie down and feel
much better. The  lights are so bright after  just waking up,
but I  know Phillip needs to be able to see. He feeds me ice
chips  and  puts  cool  compresses  on  my  head.  I   take
codeine for the pain. I  didn’t really want to take anything that
would hurt the baby, but Phillip assured me that there were
no  lasting effects  to  the baby  from codeine.  I  had  taken  it
with A and she was fine. Nancy turned the TV on for her and
entertained  her  so  she  wouldn’t  worry  about me.  I   could
hear her in the other room asking all sorts of questions. All I
could think of was me, though, and how much it hurt.

I t wasn’t long before I  was pushing the baby out. With A it
felt like I  was in labor forever. This one seemed to be going
by so  fast.  In a matter of hours  I  gave birth  to my second
daughter  at  2:15  a.m.  November  13,  1997.  Phillip  later
named her S. Nancy and Phillip wanted me to pick a name
out of the Bible for her middle name. Nancy suggests Ruth
or G, and  I   like G better. Phillip  is  reading  the Bible a  lot
more now. I ’m not sure what he is looking for. I t gives him a
focus and I  am thankful for that. Phillip says that he has torn
up the Bible two times now. One time he threw the pages in
his bucket, which he uses to go number two in outside. He
said he was  fed up with God at one point and didn’t  think
he  would  ever  pick  up  the  Bible  again. Well,  something
must  have  changed  because  he  has  a  new  Bible  now
called NIV. I  see him reading and talking to Nancy about it
every  time  I  see  them. He  is mentioning Bible studies  for
me  and  Nancy.  Phillip  says  that  with  God’s  help  he  is
coming  to understand  the  voices  that  he  hears,  and God
has cured him of his sexual problem. I  will believe that when
I  see it.
Reflection

The night before I  am to testify in front of a grand jury I
had this dream …
I  was in this interview room with Phillip and Nancy. Phillip
was behind this big desk to my right and Nancy was sitting
n a smaller desk straight  in  from of me.  I  was sitting  in a
swivel chair in the center of the room. Phillip was asking me
all these question that I  can’t remember and I  was smirking
at him and  telling him  I  wasn’t going  to answer any of his
questions because  I  didn’t have  to. He  then said  it  looked
like I  needed a hug and when he started to get up, I  yelled
or  the  officer who was  supposed  to  be  right  outside  the
door. When  the  officer  doesn’t  come,  I   immediately  rise
and say you can’t come near me and I  make my way to the
door.  I   go  down  the  hall  to  find  the  officer  that  was
supposed  to  be  guarding  me  in  the  room.  He  is  with
another officer and he  is  in his underwear saying he was
sorry but he needed to get dressed. Then I  woke up.
T o me this is a dream about how it is hard for me to trust
in  law  enforcement.  They  weren’t  there  when  I   needed
them,  therefore,  in  the  dream  they  are  not  there  for me.
Knowing  this and  thinking  this are  two different  things  for
me. I  know when I  go into the grand jury room I  will be well
protected  and  cared  for.  One  the  other  hand,  the
government failed me for eighteen years. And that will take
time to heal from.


Raising the Girls in the Backyard

The new baby has just turned two weeks old. I  am the
mother of two healthy girls. Phillip and Nancy are letting me
stay  in  the studio  room with  them. Phillip says we can be
one big family now. He says he is going to work super hard
on the printing business. He wants Nancy to quit her job at
CAP  to be able  to stay home and help with  the baby and
the business. He says he will get us all the jobs we need.
My days are consumed with  the babies and Printing  for
Less. Since A is three, I  am trying to get her to stop nursing.
I  can’t nurse both of them at the same time. Phillip still says
I  am doing  the best  thing  in  the world  for  the girls. He has
told me all the benefits of breast-feeding. I  know it’s good to
breast-feed, but a girl can only do it for so long. A will just
have to stop.
The  name  S  just  does  not  suit  the  baby. We  end  up
calling her G. She was born with a growth above her eye. I t
feels like a ball right at the end of her eyebrow. Phillip has
felt it and thinks it is nothing but “a cyst.” I  wish I  could have
a doctor look at it. Phillip says to continue to watch it and if
it starts growing, then he will figure out a way to take her to
the doctor. He says maybe one of those free clinics. Nancy
could  take  the baby and  it would  look  like a non-English-
speaking Mexican woman taking her baby in for a checkup.
Probably with no questions asked. I  just hope it doesn’t get
any  bigger  so  she  doesn’t  have  to  go  to  the  hospital.  I
would want  to go,  too, and  I  don’t  think Phillip would allow
that.
Phillip has bought a digital camera for the business. He
will be gone all day today and I  want to use it to take some
photos  of  the  baby  and A. Nancy  gave  the  baby  a  really
cute dress. I t is pink with little flowers on it. I  get her dressed
and think of the time I  was given a disposable camera for
pictures of A. Phillip said as long as I  took pictures of just
the baby he would allow me to take them. Nancy had gotten
a  really pretty pink dress  for  the baby at her work.  I t was
crocheted. I  got pictures of her walking, taking a bath, and
in  her  favorite  rocking  chair.  When  Phillip  got  them
developed for me, I  made a scrapbook with them. She was
about six months before  I  was able  to get any pictures of
her  except  for  one  that  Nancy  took  when  she  was  one
month old. But I  have none from when she was first born. I
like having a digital camera because now I  can take all the
pictures I  want and print them right here. G looks so cute as
I  pose her for a few perfect shots.
Phillip is going out every day to find us jobs. I  think Nancy
will be able  to quit her  job soon and spend  the whole day
with me and the girls. He has set up a CB radio, which we
use  to communicate with him while he  is on  the  road. On
most days he  leaves at seven or eight  in  the morning and
doesn’t  come  home  until  dinnertime  around  five  or  six  at
night. T o contact him on the road, he has taught us to say,
“Breaker, Breaker, Sky Walker, do you copy?” Sky Walker
is his handle. He says we can pick a handle  to be called,
too,  so  when  he  calls  we  will  know  it  is  him  and  not  a
stranger  on  the  same  frequency. Nancy’s  handle  is Baby
Blue. She says Phillip calls her that and when they used to
go  up  to  the mountain  to  get  high  they would  take  a CB
radio with them and talk to all the truckers. I  pick the name
Data,  which  is my  favorite  character  on Star Trek: TNG,
and  A  wants  to  be  Tinky  Winky  from Teletubbies.  Her
favorite show. Phillip says the more time he spends out in
the field, the more jobs he can get. The CB radio lets him
be out and not worry about us at home.
I  can’t wait until Nancy can stay home with us all day.  I
really need some help with them. Phillip is gone most of the
day  and  doesn’t  help with  them when  he  is  home. Yes,  I
have  all  I   need  physically  for  them,  but  I   wish  he  would
spend some more time at home. I  am getting overwhelmed.
A  is  reminding  me  more  and  more  of  my  mom.
Sometimes when  I   look at her all  I  see  is my mom.  I  must
put those thoughts behind me; it just makes me sad to look
at her and  I  don’t want  to  feel  that way.  I  need  to change
these feelings into something positive instead of negative.
Phillip  has  been  teaching me  how  to  use  affirmations  to
change my thinking process. I  know in time it will get easier
and I  won’t feel like this every day.

Reflection

This seems like a good place to give a little update on
how my girls are faring now. I t is the first day of real school
for them. Wow, I  can’t believe I  am writing those words. This
is something  I  have dreamed about  for  them  for so  long.  I
have done my best  to educate  them  in  the backyard, but  I
could only go so far. My education level only went to the fifth
grade.
Phillip  always  believed  school  was  a  terrible
environment.  He  thought  it  was  so  much  better  to
homeschool  the kids  than  for  them  to be  in public school.
He used to say he had created the perfect environment for
raising  children.  We  never  had  a  choice  in  the  matter.
Phillip believed public school would expose the girls to bad
influences,  like  bad  language,  drugs,  bullies,  and  all  the
things he believed the kids should be sheltered from. While
I   agree  with  him  that  some  schools  are  not  the  best
environment for growing children, I  do believe in education.
I   loved  school.  I  didn’t  always  love  the  kids  that  I  went  to
school with—at times they were mean or I  was just too shy
to stick up for myself—but overall my experience in school
was positive.  I  don’t  think Phillip enjoyed his school years
and that, combined with drug use in high school, gave him
a warped sense of what  life  is  like.  I  believe  that  in many
ways he wanted to create his own little world and for a while
he  succeeded  at  the  expense  of  others.  I   was  just  a
character  in  his  world,  a  world  he  created  for  his  own
benefit.
My  own  education  stopped  at  the  fifth-grade  level  and
although  I  have kept myself  reading and  learning all  these
years,  I   still  am  not  a  teacher.  Thank  goodness  for  the
internet!  (I   know what people are  thinking, and  the answer
is yes—yes,  I  did  think about using  the  internet  to  find my
mom,  but Phillip  told me  and  convinced me  that  he was
monitoring everything I  did on the internet and he would find
out each and every  thing  I  did on  it. He said  the computer
kept a record of everything and he could see it anytime he
wanted.)  I f  not  for  the  internet,  I   don’t  think  I   would  have
been  able  to  educate  the  girls  at  the  level  I   did. When  I
proposed  the  idea of enacting an actual  school  schedule
for  them,  it was  at  first met with  some  hesitation.  Phillip
believed that within a few more years he would be able to
hire someone to educate them. The girls also had their own
issues with doing school every day; these are very strong-
willed girls. Nothing like their mom, or their “sister,” as I  was
known  at  the  time.  They  didn’t  understand  why  all  of  a
sudden  they had  to  keep a  schedule. They were used  to
doing pretty much anything they wanted during the day, as
long as it was in the backyard. No playmates for them. No
sleepovers. No playdates at the skating rink. Their day was
pretty much just video games and certain TV channels and
programs approved by Phillip. Anyway, I  ended up winning
the school battle and before they knew it, I  had them going
to school  from  ten a.m.  to  two p.m.  I  would print out  their
worksheets the night before and put them in special folders
I  made  for  each  of  them.  They  had  four  subjects—math,
spelling/reading,  social  studies,  and  science.  I   loved
websites  like enchantedlearning.com  and
www.superteacherworksheets.com, which are great  for all
subjects.  We  had  a  lot  of  printers.  Phillip  loved  Canon
printers and the separate ink cartridges the brand made. I t
made the printing business a lot cheaper to run because he
filled his own cartridges and bought the ink in bulk. So I  had
everything I  needed to print the worksheets for the girls. We
always had leftover paper around, so that wasn’t a problem
either.  I   would  stay  up  late  and  print  their  worksheets  at
night before I  went to bed. In the morning, I  would get up at
about nine to start my day. I  would wake the girls up and tell
them to get up and get dressed for the day, then go inside
the studio building (now called the office) and make some
Hills  Bros.  Cappuccino,  double  mocha  flavor,  while  I
watched the Today show.
The girls would come in and want to go up to the house
to get some breakfast. Phillip  told  them  they must always
call first. The girls and I  grew up knowing he was on parole
for the rape of a woman in his past. I t wasn’t something we
questioned  him  on.  Phillip  was  afraid  his  parole  agent
would show up unexpectedly and he didn’t want  the agent
to see where  the girls came  from. He was sleeping  in  the
house  lately  with  Nancy  and  his  mom.  He  didn’t  want
anybody  to see  the back property.  I  always  thought  it was
so strange that not one of Phillip’s parole agents knew that
the property extended further back. I  just figured they didn’t
care and thought Phillip was a totally rehabilitated offender.
I  wanted something  to change.  I  wanted his parole agent
to  ask  questions.  I f  Phillip  wouldn’t  be  able  to  answer
maybe  something  would  change.  I   also  feared  whatever
change would come. I  didn’t have anywhere to go. I  had the
girls to take care of. But I  wanted them to have a better life.
just couldn’t do it for myself. I  needed someone to free me
but no one did.
I , however, have mixed feelings about high school. On the
one hand, for eighteen years I  had been taught that school
are bad and kids learn bad things there and peer pressure
can  ruin  a  child’s  life  forever;  but  when  I   consider  who
heard  all  this  stuff from,  a  kidnapper,  rapist,  pedophile
narcissistic,  pervert,  I   can  only  come  to  one  conclusion
Maybe school  isn’t so bad after all!  I  don’t know what m
high school experience would have been  like. Part of m
would like to go back in time and take that first step out o
the  car  as  a  new  freshman,  and  part  of me  is  so  glad
didn’t have to. I  look at my daughter and see what it could
have been like for me had I  not been kidnapped and take
away from my life at the age of eleven.
Both of my girls are going to school full-time now. Where
they first made this decision, I  didn’t want them to see how
the  idea  scared me  to death. How all  I   could  think about
was how much school would change them and how lonely
would  be  without  them  and  how  the  thought  of  anything
happening to them would just kill me. But I  knew saying an
of  these  things aloud wouldn’t help. So  I   supported  them
Taking A  to  shadow  at  different  high  schools. Helping G
decide  what  school  and  grade  would  be  best  for  he
Taking  them  back-to-school  shopping. And  then  before  I
knew it, A’s first day arrived. I t was a Tuesday. I  made her a
veggie  rollup.  I  asked how she was  feeling, and she said
she was nervous and excited. A week before, we attended
orientation. What  an  experience  that was.  I   felt  so  out  of
place,  like  I   didn’t  belong. A  nudged me  and  said,  “Hey,
you’re making me  nervous.” So  after  that  I   really  tried  to
seem calm and  in  the moment. But all  I  could  think about
was if this is what it would have been like for me. That day
ended up being really good for her; she was nervous about
the other kids, but after seeing that they were just as scared
as she was, it helped her to not feel so out of place. Unlike
me. I  felt very out of place. I  think part of it was being afraid
people were  thinking, How can she be a mom?  I ’m short
and have been told I  look very young for my age, and then
there’s the fact that I  gave birth to her when I  was fourteen.
Of course, people must be curious. Nobody said anything
to me, though. And I  started to relax and just enjoy being on
campus. We  listened  to  the principal. We watched as he
introduced his assistant and  turned  just  in  time  to see her
pulling a finger out of her nose! That helped to relieve some
of  the  tension  that  I   felt  just  from being  there. Watching A
getting  her  student  ID,  gym  locker,  and  watching  her
interact with the other kids was an eye-opening experience.
I   realized  she’s  going  to  be  okay. And  in  realizing  that,  I
have gained peace of mind.
Walking  the high school grounds brought up  feelings of
grief for what I  had lost. I  even felt some jealousy and envy
deep  down  inside.  I   should  have  had  the  opportunity  to
have these experiences. But they were forcibly taken away
from me. Now I  have the opportunity to take back a piece of
my life that was taken. I  always dreamed about going back
to school. Sometimes I  even had dreams that Phillip would
let me go  to school and  I  would actually dream about my
school  days. Sometimes  they would  be  so  real my mind
sees them as actual events.
Early in my captivity I  felt so alone. I  didn’t know where I
was, so I  didn’t believe anyone could find me. I  was afraid
to  try  to  get  away,  thinking  that  even  if  I   could,  what  if
something even worse happened to me? I  was so scared. I
wonder what would have happened if I  was rescued in the
very beginning.
I  know I ’m being redundant and a little off topic here, but
Phillip gave me this awful image of the world. To me a large
part of the world was made up of pedophiles and rapists. I
have come to realize this is not true. There are some really
fantastic, wonderful, and helpful people out here who have
been amazing and comforting and  try every day  to do  the
right thing. I  was conditioned to think the outside world was
a scary place, and  the only place  I  was safe and my girls
were safe was to stay with their dad. He always took care
of everything. He always had an answer  for everything. If  I
ever questioned him, yes, he would listen, but then he would
tell me why I  was wrong and why only his way would work.
One of  the  reasons  I   stayed was  I  wanted my  kids  to be
safe. The outside world was scary  for me.  I  was so afraid
that  if  I   left or  tried  to  leave and  take  them both with me,  I
wouldn’t be able to protect them. I  knew they were so safe
in the backyard; I  didn’t have to worry about anyone taking
them like I  was taken.
Being in the outside world at times still scares me, and
sometimes  I  want  to hold my kids close and never  let go.
But  I   know  that  I   am  1%  of  the  population.  Stranger
abduction  is very  rare.  I  still have  to  remind myself of  this
fact every time I  drop them off and leave. I  hope they grow
up with a greater sense of self  than  I  had.  I  was  raised  to
always be polite  to my elders.  In most cases  this  is  right,
but  there are moments  in which  all  of  us  need  to  have  a
backbone and feel that we have the right to say no to adults
if we believe they are doing the wrong thing. You must find
your voice and not be afraid to speak up. I  gave my power
to my abductor. I  was the one to comfort him when he was
the one in the wrong. Where was my comfort? Where was
my  freedom?  Why  did  I   feel  the  need  to  comfort  my
tormentor? Violating my body was not enough? He had  to
violate my mind  as well? He had  the  ability  to  turn  every
situation  to  suit  his  needs.  What  happened  to  the
“bullheaded” part of me? I  knew I  had to do what he told me
and not complain. My fear was doing something wrong and
Phillip  getting  mad  and  who  knows  what  would  have
happened then. Instinctively, I  knew I  had to cooperate with
him or else.
I  hated what he was doing to me, but I  felt helpless to do
anything about it. When he would cry afterward and “thank”
me for helping him with his sexual problem, I  wanted to yell
and scream  to please  let me go.  I  didn’t want  to help him
with anything. I  have come to realize that Phillip Garrido is
and was  a  very  selfish man. He  took me  away  from my
family. From a mother that I  loved with all my soul and I  still
needed  desperately. He  did  disgusting  things  to me. He
told me all along that I  was helping him. He used to cry and
say he was sorry, after he was done with me. And I  would
forgive him and say it was okay, that I  was okay. I  was not
okay! That was the confusing part—he could be an animal
doing disgusting things to me one minute and then the next
crying and asking for forgiveness. I t confused the hell out of
me.  Now  I   know  it  was  all  a  part  of  his manipulation. A
game he has been playing all his life. When he took Katie
Callaway,  kidnapped  and  raped  her,  he  used  the  same
excuses he did on me. He had a sex problem he needed
help  with.  He  used  the  same  platitudes,  such  as  don’t
struggle and it will be easier for you. Just let me act out my
fantasies and everything will go good for you. Basically the
same as what I  was hearing.
Even  though  I  have  forgiven him,  it does not negate  the
facts. I  have learned so many new facts about him, I ’m not
sure if I  have the right to forgive him. I  will probably struggle
with this question for the rest of my life. Yes, in his mind he
wanted us to be a family, but when I  think back I  can see we
were  just  pretending.  Pretending  everything  was  okay.
Pretending the girls didn’t need to go to school. Pretending
that is was normal for me not to be driving. Normal for us to
not have friends. Normal that Phillip was hearing voices. He
will always be  their  father. Nothing can change  that. There
are so many opportunities out there for all of us now. I  can’t
wait to see what the girls do with their lives now there is no
one to tell us we can’t climb a mountain in Istanbul or fly a
plane  over  the  Swiss  Alps  or  even  just  take  a  walk  by
ourselves down a quiet street. All  this  is open  to us now,
where once it was not.
I t still scares me, the fact that I  can’t protect my daughters
from everything. What mother wouldn’t want to protect their
child from the dangers of the world? But I  have to choose to
believe  they will both be okay and  realize  that sometimes
when  we  shelter  our  children  too  much,  we  are  really
protecting ourselves.
My mom survived  the  loss of me.  I   think  it was a good
thing  she  had my  sister  to  keep  her  busy. But  she  never
gave up hope of finding me one day. I  know this now. For a
long  time  I  chose not  to  think about certain  things  like my
mom because  it was  just  too  painful. Sometimes  I  would
think about  “what  ifs” or  remember certain  times we were
together, but mostly  I   just  tried not  to  think at all.  I  used  to
only allow myself to think about her on her birthday. I  would
give myself permission to cry and think about her only then.
Sometimes my mind would not cooperate and wander with
thoughts of her. Did she stay  in Tahoe?  Is she  thinking of
me? One time I  got this strange feeling that she was gone
from the world. I  remember I  felt devastated. I  had to keep
convincing myself  that  it  wasn’t  true  and  to  stop  scaring
myself like that. Thank God it wasn’t true.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন