মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

22.Pretending to Be a Family





It was the Fourth of July yesterday and Phillip wanted us
to go up on  the roof of  the barn and watch  the  fireworks.  I
was scared  to climb  the  ladder and even more scared  to
be up on that old falling-down barn with the girls. But Phillip
said it was really sturdy and safe and if it could support him,
it could support us. So we all climbed  the  ladder, and he
carried the girls up one at a time. A is four and G is already
one and walking everywhere she can. She is always on the
go. She is saying words like Lissa, Dada, and Mum.
I t is a warm night outside. The stars are shining and the
moon  is a crescent  in  the sky above me.  I  sit on  the  roof
and think of my mom and our competition about the moon. I
think of her and  sing  to myself  the  song we used  to  sing
together,  “I   see  the moon  and  the moon  sees me,  God
bless the moon, and God bless me.” Miss her so much.
G is getting restless. Nancy is trying to talk to her and get
her  to  watch  the  fireworks.  I   think  the  loud  noises  are
scaring her, and I  long to hold her close but I  don’t want it to
look  like  I ’m  taking  over  from Nancy. G  is  squirming  and
fighting  to  get  free  from  Nancy’s  hold  on  her.  She  is
reaching back toward me to hold her. I  tell Nancy that I  will
hold her if she wants me to, but she thinks the fireworks are
just scaring her. She  tells Phillip  that she  thinks we should
go  inside. Phillip  is  getting  restless,  too,  so we  all  climb
back down and go inside, where Nancy gives me the baby
to  breast-feed. Sometimes  I   feel  like  all  I   do  is  feed  her.
She  loves  to  eat,  but  sometimes  I   think  it  is  more  of  a
comfort thing with her. She’s always so restless and fidgety.
She  loves  her  pacifier. We  call  it  her Bucky.  I   feel  better
now that she is in my arms. On the roof I  felt like my pulse
was going to jump out of my skin. I  wanted to just grab her
and hold her to me. I  would not have known what to say to
Nancy after that. Our relationship is so tenuous. I  am trying
hard to hold on to what little we have built.
Phillip and Nancy are taking us to the beach today. I  am
a  little  scared  because  I   haven’t  been  out  in  public  for  a
long  time. What  if  I  do something wrong? Phillip says we
will just be an ordinary family at the beach. There’s nothing
to worry about.
When we  arrive  at  the  beach,  it  gives me  an  amazing
feeling of  freedom.  I  know  I  am not  free,  though. We park
along a rocky cliff and get out to have a look at the ocean.
When A gets out she is immediately terrified of the cliff and
falls  to her knees  in  fear.  I  want  to go comfort her and  tell
her it’s okay, that there is nothing to be afraid of, but Phillip
is there with her instead and tells her he will carry her down.
We spend many hours on the beach. I  love playing in the
water with  the girls. Nancy  comes out  to play,  too. Phillip
sits on  the blanket  in  the sand and  reads his Bible. After
lunch we all head  for a walk down  the beach. My  legs are
burning even though I  have been exercising with Nancy. The
girls are having a fun day and I ’m glad they get to have this
experience. Phillip’s back starts  to hurt him,  so we make
our way back to the car and go home to the backyard.
A  few weeks  later, Nancy says she wants us  to go get
our nails done. She says she is going to work on Phillip to
convince him  that  this would be good  for our  relationship.
On the inside I  really don’t want to go anywhere. I ’m afraid,
too. Phillip comes to me and gives me one hundred dollars
and says Nancy is going to take me on an outing. He says
it will be fun.
I  get  in  the  car with Nancy and we  take off  for  the nail
salon.  I  am so nervous. What  if  the person doing my nails
sees my hand shaking? When we arrive, I  put on my “I  can
do  this”  face and  follow Nancy  in. She  tells  the Japanese
lady  that we want a manicure.  I  sit down  in  the chair and
hand my hand over  to  the  lady. Thankfully,  it  is not visibly
shaking, but I  am on the inside. I  just want to go back to the
girls.  The  lady  asks  me  questions  and  I   answer
automatically.  I   am  not  really  here.  I   am  not  an  actual
person. I  am nobody. Nobody sees me.
My nails are done and we are back in the car. We stop
for lunch at Jack in the Box and eat in the car. Nancy really
enjoyed getting her nails done. She got a French manicure
and says  the  lady chipped one of her nails.  I   tell her  I  can
hardly see it and that her nails look beautiful.
We arrive home. Phillip is sitting in his chair reading the
Bible  and  the  kids  are  watching The Lion King. Nothing
has changed, yet everything has. I  went out today and came
back and nobody noticed. Nobody cared to ask who I  was.
Our next outing is to Walmart. I  stick close to Nancy and
feel self-conscious being here. I  look no one in the eye. My
hands are shaking … will anyone notice?


Reflection

I  wasn’t allowed to leave his “secret backyard” until my
youngest daughter was two and we went to the Brentwood
Cornfest. By then Phillip had Nancy cut my hair really short
and dyed  it brown.  I  had put on about  thirty extra pounds
from being pregnant and Phillip didn’t  think  there was any
way anyone was going to recognize me. I  remember being
really nervous and when I  arrived I  stuck real close to Phillip
and kept my eyes averted from everyone. Nancy gave me a
big baggy black shirt and I  wore black jeans. By then I  had
resigned myself  to  my  fate.  The  biggest  memory  I   have
from  that day was,  I  had no voice and  I  didn’t shout  to  the
world “Hey, it’s me, Jaycee!” even though I  longed to. I  was
Allissa, the girl who gave birth to two girls that needed to be
protected  from  the evilness of  the world, and  that was my
main goal.  I  don’t  remember  too much  from  that day;  I  do
remember  Phillip  encouraging  me  to  go  on  one  of  the
rides.  I  didn’t want  to go by myself, but  I  ended up on  the
swing  ride  that  takes  you  round  and  round.  I   remember
thinking as  the ride made circles around  itself  that  I  wish  I
was  free  like  the people  I   see here. Free  to walk around
and be me. But  I  wasn’t. The next  time we went out was
Halloween  that  same  year  1999,  we  went  to  the  Smith
Farm and we all dressed up that year, me and Nancy were
hippies, A was Belle  from Beauty and the Beast, and my
youngest  daughter  was  Blue  from Blue’s  Clues.  Phillip
wore his old  ’70s-style  rock  ’n’  roll outfit  that he had kept
from his days when he was in a band. He brought his guitar
and  serenaded  anyone  that  would  listen.  I t  was  quite
embarrassing,  but  everyone  was  friendly  and  polite.  The
kids  got  to  pick  pumpkins  and  it  was  fun. One  thing
remained the same: I  knew we had to return to the “secret
backyard,” where there was no house to come home to, just
a building and by that time a few tents.
One  outing  melted  into  the  next.  I   learned  to  not  look
people in the eye. I  felt if I  did, they would ask me questions
I   couldn’t possibly answer.  I   stuck  close  to Nancy.  I   could
feel  my  hands  shaking  when  I   reached  out  to  touch
something  I  wanted.  In  time going out became easier and
we  even  brought  the  girls  shopping  with  us.  But  I   could
never shake  the  feeling  that one day someone would say,
“Hey, aren’t you  that missing girl?” but nobody ever did.  I
was nobody. Nobody saw me.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন