মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

29.Finding Old Friends



Officer  Todd  and  a  friend  were  able  to  sneak  my
youngest daughter’s hermit crabs into the hotel room while
we  were  there.  Todd  contacted  a  fellow  officer  that  was
assigned to the search of the property and told them where
to find them. That officer found the hermit crabs and brought
the  tank  back  to  the  station.  The  next  day  T odd  and  his
friend smuggled  them  into  the Hilton. They walked  it past
the front desk using a luggage carrier with towels covering
the ten-gallon tank, then up in the elevator they went. When
they knocked on the door, the room was already filled with
people, from FBI , to police, to victim advocates. The room
barely  had  standing  room.  People  had  to make  way  as
T odd  and  his  friend  rolled  the  precious  cargo  inside  the
room. G was sitting on the bed and as T odd lifted the towel
off  the  tank,  the  biggest  smile  I   had  seen  in  a  long  time
spread  across  her  face.  G dubbed  Officer  T odd  “Royal
Crab Carrier One” and Todd’s  friend  “Royal Crab Carrier
Two” right there on the spot.
Officer Beth was able to keep track of our cats and the
neighbor’s  dogs  for  us,  too.  The  animal  shelter  the  cats
were at spayed and neutered them for us and gave them all
their shots. There were six cats rescued  from  the property
all  together,  four  of  our  new  kittens  and  two  adult  cats,
Patches and Lily, who were  strays  that  I   fed. Beth asked
what I  wanted to do about the two dogs, and since I  never
really  felt  they were mine,  I   asked  if  she  could  find  good
homes  for  them. Which  I   later  found out she did. Patches
turned  out  to  have  nose  cancer  and  the  animal  shelter
volunteered treatment for him. I  was torn at the prospect of
never seeing any of  them again, but  I  also knew  I  had no
home, no money, and  I  had no  idea what our  future held.
The girls were adamant  they wanted  to at  least  keep  the
kittens. I  asked Beth if she could find foster families for our
cats until we were more settled and she said, “No problem.”
We  were  reunited  with  our  kittens  January  ’10.  Beth
adopted Patches, who has since survived the nose cancer
and who has found his family. Lily was adopted by a friend
of Beth’s and is living a happy carefree life.
My oldest daughter’s parakeet was  returned  to her and
she  has  had  him  ever  since.  Beth  also  told  me  the
ambulance  had  come  for  Phillip’s  mother  and  she  was
being cared for.
After my  initial  shock  at  being  reunited  with my mom,
sister, and aunt,  I  began  to wonder what happened  to my
best friends, Jessie and Shawnee. Jessie had been such a
constant of my early  years  that a part of me never  forgot
about her and I  thought of her often. Shawnee was the last
friend I  had, and I  was curious as to how her life was now. I
enlisted the help of my new friend Todd.
A few weeks after our recovery, T odd asked me if there
were any friends I  would like him to find, and I  said I  would
like to find Jessie and Shawnee. He had no trouble finding
Shawnee  on  Facebook  and  soon  told  me  that  she  was
married with a  couple of  kids. He  said he had  contacted
her on Facebook and left a number for her to call. I  guess
she  was  a  little  suspicious  of  that  because  she  had  her
lawyer call and check him out first, but when she found out
that  he was  indeed  a  real  officer  and was  calling  on my
behalf, she accepted. T o keep my privacy, Shawnee began
sending letters to Officer T odd in care of the police station
and he would get  the  letters  to me. The  letters eventually
turned  into  emails  that  he  would  forward  to  me.  I t  was
wonderful  to  reconnect  with  her  and  hear  that  she  was
happy with her  two kids and married  to a wonderful guy.  I
learned  that  she  had  lost  her  grandma  Millie,  who  I
remember  living with  in Tahoe, and she had also  lost her
mom a  few years back. But she made a wonderful  life  for
herself and I  am so happy for her. I  called her on the phone
for the first time on November 5th, 2009. I  invited her to my
daughter’s  birthday;  she  couldn’t  come  down  at  that  time
because she also had a couple of birthdays  to celebrate,
and so we made plans  for her  to come down and visit  in
December. When I  saw her for the first time, she looked so
much the same I  would have recognized her anywhere. She
had a huge surprise  for me and my  family. Her work had
pooled  together  and  brought  us  things  we  desperately
needed.  Christmas  came  early  for  us  all.  T odd  and  his
family were there, too, and he brought us each a brand-new
bike.  I t  was  the  best  Christmas  ever,  but  it  wasn’t  the
presents that made it special; it was being able to see my
mom smile and happy and seeing that my sister turned into
a beautiful woman and knowing my aunt never  forgot me.
Knowing I  had a family was the biggest and best gift of all.
T odd also found my childhood friend Jessie. She was a
little more difficult  to  find, but he eventually did. She wrote
me letters and sent me homemade chocolate chip cookies
through T odd and then we started to email. I  called her for
the first time on November 5th, too, after I  got done talking
with  Shawnee.  Did  I   mention  how  nervous  I   was  to  call
either one of them? Even though they had been sending me
letters and seemed to remember me, I  was still nervous to
call  either  one  of  them.  T odd  assured me  that  they  both
wanted  to  talk  to me, but still, what  if  I  didn’t know what  to
say?  I   still  didn’t  feel  comfortable  using  a  phone  without
permission. It’s taking some time to realize I  don’t have to
ask permission  to do  the  things  I  want.  I  was shaking as  I
dialed each of  their numbers. They both  turned out  to be
very easy to talk to. The call to Jessie lasted an hour and a
half. She did most of the talking, but I  loved to listen to her
talk and  tell me about her  life.  I   invited her  to come up  for
G’s birthday and she started crying and said she would be
there.
Jessie  drove  nine  hours  to  get  to  us  and  brought  her
seven-year-old daughter and her mom, Linda. As she drove
up the driveway, she was so excited she barely put the car
in  park  before  she  jumped  out  and  ran  to  me  and
embraced me in the fiercest hug I  had ever had. We were
both  crying  and  in  that  moment  I   felt  an  old  connection
reestablish. It’s an odd feeling to know that a certain person
will  always  be  there  for  you,  no matter  what.  It’s hard  to
describe.  My  friend  was  the  old  Jessie  and  the  new
combined.  She  was  taller  than  me,  which  bugged  me
because growing up I  had always been taller than her. She
still had the same long dark brown hair and she was skinny
just like before. She looked so much like her mom. After we
let go of each other, she introduced me to her daughter and
I   introduced my  two  daughters. My mom  and  sister were
there,  too,  and we were  all  hugging  each  other. Hugging
Linda again was a wonderful feeling, too. Growing up I  had
spent a lot of time with her. And hugging her was like going
back in time and smelling the salty sea air where she used
to take us and tasting the sand in our sandwiches as we sat
on  the warm beach  in Southern California. We  talked until
the wee hours of  the night.  I t  felt so natural and easy. The
next  day  she  helped  decorate  for G’s  birthday  party. We
had invited all our new friends including T odd and his family
and Beth.  I t was crab  themed because my daughter  loves
her hermit crabs Kevin, Devin, and Cheese.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন