মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

14.Waiting for Baby





I’m  watching many  baby  shows  to  prepare myself  to
take care of a baby. Phillip started watching a  lot of child
care shows, too. He especially likes a gentleman on TLC; I
can’t  remember his name,  though. He has  rented birthing
videos from the library and watched them with me. I t looks
pretty scary, but he said he could do  it and nothing would
go wrong.
Every day seems to melt into the next. I  don’t know what
is going to happen. All the preparation seems to melt away
and I  have no recollection of the day-to-day activities I  did to
prepare  for an  infant’s arrival. Phillip moved me next door
to what he calls “next door.” I  have a bed and dresser and
my  own  TV.  This  afternoon  as  I   was  watching Doctor
Quinn: Medicine Woman—it’s one of my favorite shows to
watch—I  have been having sharp pains all day, but I  didn’t
really  think anything of  it this morning;  I  have been  in pain
before. But this pain seemed different and started to get so
severe  by  afternoon  I   couldn’t  even move.  Is  this  what  it
feels  like  to  have  a  baby?  I  wish  I  wasn’t  alone.  I   am  so
scared! No one has come to check on me all day and the
door  was  still  locked,  so  I   have  to  wait  until  someone
comes.
Nancy  finally  comes  in  around  five  p.m.  She  sees me
hunched over in pain. She goes to get Phillip and he asks
me all kinds of questions like, how long do the contractions
last and  that sort of  thing while Nancy goes  to get all  the
stuff  they need,  like  towels and hot water. Phillip  reminds
me  about  the  birthing  videos  and  reassures  me  that  he
knows what  to  do. Nancy  is  a  nurse’s  aide.  I   don’t  have
anyone else.
The contractions last into the night. I  twist and turn and try
to find a comfortable position, but nothing helps. I t is late by
the time my water finally breaks. At first I  thought I  had peed
myself. I  tell Phillip and he thinks it won’t be long now. When
my water broke  I   felt an  instant of  relief  from  the constant
pressure  I  had been  feeling  for months as  the baby grew
inside of me. The pressure returned after that when it was
time for me to push. I  have never been in so much pain in
my life. Phillip tells me I  need to push now. I t seems like it is
taking  forever  and  the  baby  is  still  not  coming.  He  feels
inside  and  discovers  the  cord  is  around  the  baby’s  neck
and  is preventing  the baby  from coming out. He uses his
finger  to  pull  the  cord  away  slightly  and  the  next  push  is
successful! Nancy takes her and gets her cleaned up. I  still
had  the placenta  to push out. That seems  to  take  forever,
too. After that they gave her to me to hold for the first time
and cleaned up all the mess and changed my sheets. I  am
exhausted and all I  want to do is go to sleep. I  nurse her for
the  first  time, which  feels very strange  to me and  then we
both went to sleep. My baby girl came into the world at 4:35
a.m., August 18, 1994.  I  am  fourteen  years old and  very,
very scared.


Reflection

Recounting  that  day,  I   can’t  believe  that  was me  that
went  through  this.  I   can’t  imagine  ever  going  through
something like this again by myself. Obviously, I  didn’t have
a choice with  the second pregnancy either. How did  I  not
just go  insane with worry? How do you get  through  things
you don’t want to do? You just do. I  did it because that was
the only  thing  I  could do.  I  would do  it all again. The most
precious thing in the world came out of it … my daughters.
I ’m not sure why Phillip chose the name he did for my first
daughter,  which  later  in  his  delusional  thinking  began  to
symbolize the powerful spirit forces that controlled his mind.
I  have my own reason for not protesting the name she was
given. T o me her name symbolizes everything good  in  the
universe.  I t  encompasses my  old  beliefs  and  helped me
hold on to those beliefs even when I  was hit the hardest with
his  “angel  theory.”  I   don’t  think  of  myself  as  a  religious
person. Even with all the many hours Phillip insisted we sit
and listen to his interpretation of the Bible, I  still don’t really
know if I  believe in the Bible at all. When I  was little, before I
was  taken  away  by  Phillip,  one  of  my  favorite  things  to
collect were these figures called “Precious Moments.” They
came in all kinds of shapes and sizes, and each one had a
unique quote on a  locket necklace.  I   received a Guardian
Angel Precious Moment for my ninth birthday. I  kept it in its
stand atop my dresser.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন