মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

15.Taking Care of a Baby





It is two a.m. in the morning. A will not go to sleep. She
is  only  quiet  when  I   stand  up  and  bounce  her  on  my
shoulder. Will she ever sleep through the night? My breasts
hurt so much from her nursing. I  have told Phillip. He said he
would talk to a pharmacist. Hopefully he can find something
for  me  to  use  to  make  them  feel  better.  I   have  a  new
rocking chair that Phillip found at the Salvation Army. I t is all
one smooth  line, with  this peach  fabric covering  it.  It’s so
ugly! But I  am grateful to have it. A loves to be rocked. I  rock
her  for hours and hours and  sing  “You Are My Sunshine”
just like my mom used to sing to me. Nancy got me a tape
cassette  player  and  some  of  my  favorite  Disney  music.
Phillip  also  gave me  some  of  his  songs  on  tape  that  he
made. I  think I  will put them on for A and see if that will get
her to sleep. I  like to keep her on a schedule as much as I
can. She wakes up about nine a.m. for feeding and then we
both go back to sleep until about noon for another feeding,
then we will play  for a  little bit. Games  like peekaboo and
this little piggy. She is about three months now and growing
every  day.  She  has  the  biggest  eyes  I’ve  ever  seen.  I
wonder if she will grow into them. I  like to give her a bath a
little  before  bedtime  to  help  her  sleep.  Phillip  put  a
microwave in the other room. I  use it to heat up some water
in  an  old  wipes  container.  There  is  no  sink  in  here,  but
Phillip  buys  those  big water  containers,  so  I   usually  have
plenty  of water  to  bathe  the  baby  and  brush my  teeth  at
night. I  have a baby bath to put her in and clean towels and
washcloths. Nancy and Phillip get me whatever  I  need  for
the baby. I  have toys and clothes and plenty of diapers and
wipes. Sometimes  the baby gets a diaper  rash and  I  use
Desitin to clear it up. She seems very healthy, though, and
inquisitive.
Life’s a lot nicer than it used to be since the baby came.
Phillip hasn’t made me have sex with him since  the baby
came and no “runs” either. When  I  was pregnant he didn’t
make me have sex, but one time I  had to take off my shirt
and masturbate him.
Phillip  and  Nancy  come  in  to  visit  a  lot  more,  too.
Sometimes  they  take A  in  the  studio  with  them.  That  is
where Phillip and Nancy are sleeping. I  think Nancy likes to
pretend  that A  is her baby.  I   like  the break  from  the baby
because we are together 24/7, but I  am also a little jealous.
I  want some attention, too.
I  am so lonely. Sometimes I  dream about my friends that I
used  to  have. Especially my  very  first  friend,  Jessie. We
met  in 1984 when  I  was  four and she was  three. My mom
and I  had just moved into an apartment complex together. I t
was just me and her. Before then I  had lived with her at my
grandma’s house. I  was so happy to be living with her in our
own  place.  Just  the  two  of  us.  One  day  I   was  playing
outside in the courtyard and another little girl came outside
to play,  too. She had  long dark brown hair and was  very
skinny. She came over to where I  was inspecting the juniper
bush  for  ladybugs  (my  favorite  pastime).  She  came  over
and started to look, too. I  pulled a ladybug off the bush and
showed  it  to her and  then put  it on her hand.  I t  fell  to  the
ground  and when  she went  to  pick  it  up  she  accidentally
squished  it.  I  started  to cry and she started  to cry,  too. As
our moms  started  to  come  over  to  see what was wrong,
she  very  gently  took  another  ladybug  from  the  bush  and
offered it to me. I  looked at it for a minute and then smiled
and accepted her gift. After  that we were  inseparable and
our moms became  friends,  too.  I  miss her now more  than
ever.
When we got older and  I  was sent  to  live with my aunt
and  uncle  for  the  year,  Jessie  would  always  send  me
special things. Like one time she sent me this bear that had
a  secret  spot  in  the  back  where  you  could  hide  special
things.  I   loved  that  bear  and  I   loved  Jessie,  too,  for  not
forgetting me.  I  wonder what  her  life  is like now.  I   always
thought we were the same but different. She was thin and I
was pudgy. She was outgoing and not shy, and  I  was shy
and quiet. We both  lived with our moms. No dads  in our
lives.  I  wonder  if we would still be  friends  if  I  was home.  I
wish  I  could go home.  I  do not ask  to go home anymore.
Too painful  to even  think about.  I   just hope one day  things
will get better. I  can’t imagine staying here until I ’m old and
gray, but yet I  don’t know what the future holds for me. All I
have  is Phillip and he always seems  to know what  to do.
Where would I  go with a baby? Who would want me?



কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন