মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

17.Second Baby





I am pregnant again.  I  was  so afraid  it would happen
again. He’s only been on a few “runs” these last few years.
He  hasn’t  been  taking  as many  drugs. And  he  seems  to
have a steady  job working at a nursery  for a guy he calls
Marvin. Marvin lets him take home lots of wood and stone
steps, too. Phillip still says that he is going to put up a tall
fence so I  can go outside and enjoy the sunshine. I  think A
enjoys  going  outside,  too.  Nancy  sometimes  takes  her
outside  to  play,  but  I   can’t  go  because  they  are  afraid
someone will see me.  I  don’t want  to get  them  in  trouble.
Where would  I  go  if  they were gone? Would Nancy  let me
go if Phillip wasn’t around? I  don’t think she would because
she didn’t  let me go when Phillip was sent back  to prison
that one month. She had  the opportunity  then, and  I  didn’t
even know it. I t sure would be nice to go outside once in a
while. Phillip has built a  room outside of  the  room  I ’m  in.
Even  though  it  is  outside,  I   still can’t  go  anywhere  else
without  Phillip  or  Nancy.  This  new  room  is  enclosed  on
three sides, and he has put my toilet in there along with the
mini-fridge, and he has hooked up a sink. I  can get water.
Sometimes I  go sit on the pot while A is playing inside just
to  get  a  little  break  from  her.  I   know  this  is wrong  and  I
shouldn’t  mind  being  with  her  all  day,  but  it  is  so
overwhelming at times. When she realizes  I  am gone, she
starts to bang on the door and I  tell her I  will come in when
I ’m  finished  with  the  bathroom,  but  she  throws  a  fit  and
screams and acts like she can’t bear to be away from me.
She’s usually a good girl, but when she has a tantrum about
something I  just don’t know what to do. Nancy said I  should
set up a chair in the corner and make her sit there. I  did try
that, but she just gets up and does what she wants. She’s
very  headstrong.  Our  days  are  usually  spent  playing
together. She has a myriad of  toys  that Nancy and Phillip
have brought her. She  likes watching Sesame Street and
Barney in the mornings, and I  like to teach her ABCs. She’s
three  now  and  I ’m  still  breastfeeding  her,  which  is  hard,
because she is bigger now and has teeth. I  constantly have
to  tell her  to not bite me. Phillip says  I  am doing  the best
thing that I  could possibly do for her by breastfeeding.
I  don’t know how I  know I ’m pregnant again, but I  know I
am. My body has this full feeling. The last time he made me
have sex with him, he didn’t pull out in time and the semen
went in. He said this time would be the last time ever. I  don’t
know  if  I  can believe him because he has said  that many
times before. He says he’s been working on his problem
and  that  I  won’t have  to suffer anymore.  I  don’t know what
has  made  him  say  he  is  going  to  stop.  I   know  it  is
something  I  have always wanted him  to do.  I  hate  it. Each
and every time. There is no enjoyment for me, even though
he  says  one  day  I  will  enjoy  it.  I  wonder  how  he will  feel
about another baby. I  know he loves A and swears to God
that he would never harm her  in any way. He said he was
holding her in his arms in the studio one day and he prayed
to God and cried out,  “God, please don’t ever  let me hurt
this little girl.” He said God cured him of his sexual problem
and that’s why he says he will never touch me again. I  want
to  believe  him,  but  it’s  hard  to  believe  that  he will  never
touch me again. Sometimes  I  dream about  running away,
but I  have nowhere to go. And now I  will have another baby.
I  can hear the van. The van that Phillip drives has a very
loud motor  and  although  I   have  never  seen  it,  I   can  hear
when he  leaves and comes home again.  I t reminds me of
the commercial on TV about the Dodge vans having “Hemi”
engines. Hemi  engines  are  very  loud.  I   can  hear  the  van
when it comes or goes. At times I  feel anxious when I  hear
the van leave. Mixed feelings make my pulse accelerate.  I
like it when he is gone, but I  worry about being alone. I  know
he  will  always  return.  I   don’t  know  how  I   feel  about  that
either. I  do not want to be alone, but when he is gone, there
is no sex to worry about. I  have not left this place since the
“trailer home” drive.
When he comes  in with  fish and chips  from Jack  in  the
Box, I  smile and say thank you. He says he has a surprise
and  says  I   am  going  to  go  to  the  studio  so  that  he  and
Nancy can put it together. I  tell him that I  have been feeling
sick and  that  I   think  I  am pregnant again, and he says he
knows and that he will take care of everything. He says he’s
really happy and that he knows it’s going to be another girl
because God knows that’s what he needs. I  am seventeen
years old and about to have my second baby.
I  go to the studio and play with the baby for a while, and
when they come back hours later, I  follow them back into my
room  and  to  my  surprise  see  a  big  red  bunk  bed.  I t  is
humongous. The bottom bunk is a full size and the top is a
twin.  The  bottom  sticks  out  about  two  feet  from  the  top
bunk,  so  there  is  room  for me  to  sit without  bumping my
head. There’s a ladder that leads up to the top bunk, and A
wants to climb it. Phillip helps her up and she is excited to
be up so high. They ask if I  like the color and I  say yes, I  do,
even  though  I  don’t  really  like  red.  I  would have preferred
blue or black or even silver. But  they both  thought  that  I ’d
really like the red color. The room looks even smaller now. I
think  about  how  there  is  not  much  room  for  A  to  play
anymore;  but,  oh  well,  it  is  a  nice  bed.  I ’m  also  a  little
bummed because now I  can’t rearrange the room too much
anymore;  that was one of my most  favorite  things  to do  to
make  the  room  look  different  from  time  to  time  ’cause
everything is so much the same.
Phillip has been working outside on the fence every day
and  it  is  finally done.  I  am so excited  to go outside.  I  will
have so much more freedom now. Nancy is here, too, and
says I  should close my eyes so it will be a surprise. I  close
my eyes and as Phillip  takes A and  I   take Nancy’s hand
and we walk out together into the sunshine, I  can feel it, the
sun, warm  on my  face.  There  is  an  old  picnic  table  and
bench out here. And Phillip and Nancy say that we can have
barbecues out here and be a real family. I  am really looking
forward  to having a  family and doing  things again.  I  have
been cooped up  for so  long. There’s also an old dresser
out here, too, and on it is a cute little guinea pig in a cage.
He’s so cute. Phillip says it’s for me. He said his neighbor,
J.,  didn’t  want  him  anymore.  He  said  she  has  so  many
animals, she asked Phillip if he wanted a guinea pig. I  pick
him  up  and  he  squeals  a  little.  I   show  him  to A  and  she
starts to laugh and rub her nose in his soft fur. I  have been
watching  this new TV show  lately called 7th Heaven.  The
family in it has a dog named Happy. I  think I  will name the
guinea pig Happy.
Nancy doesn’t seem to like the name I’ve chosen for the
guinea pig. She keeps calling it Guinevere, even though it’s
a  boy.  I   think  it’s weird. But  she  can  call  it whatever  she
wants,  I   guess. Nancy  seems  strange  to me  sometimes.
But I  still really want her to like me. Phillip says he has many
talks with her and encourages her  to be my  friend more.  I
wonder  if  that will  ever  happen. Sometimes  she  tells me
how much she hates the summertime. She says Phillip and
she  will  drive  to  school  playgrounds  and  parks  and
videotape  little girls. Sometimes she has  to entertain  little
girls  and  get  them  to  do  the  splits  and  sit with  their  legs
apart so he can videotape it secretly. She says the camera
is hidden, and one time he cut a piece out of her purse and
put the camera in there. So weird and disgusting, I  think. He
said he was working on his sex problem. I t doesn’t seem to
me that he is. I  know he still smokes crank and weed with
Nancy  and  he  uses  the  videos  to masturbate  with.  I   still
don’t understand his problem. All I  know is that he has one.
At least there are no more “runs” for me for now. I  hope he
leaves those other kids he videotapes alone.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন