মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

16.Sarge




It is 1996. A is a toddler now. Phillip fixed up the room
with the bars on it for us to live in pretty much permanently.
I ’m still not allowed to leave the room, but Phillip has been
slowly working on fencing in the backyard. He says it’s so A
and I  could get some sun. I  am looking forward to that.
Nancy brought a cockatiel home from work today. I t was
Mid afternoon and I  thought she was coming in with dinner. I
was  surprised  when  she  had  a  birdcage  in  her  hand
instead of dinner. She said a girl  from work gave  it  to her
because her son and daughter were not taking care of him.
I  could see she was right from the big flop of super glue the
gray-and-yellow  bird  had  on  the  top  of  his  beak  and  the
bare  spots  on  his  chest  where  he  had  plucked  out  his
feathers. This told me that he was not a happy fellow. Nancy
said that it was her bird but thought that I  might like to keep
it in here for a while. I  was grateful, thinking maybe I  could
teach  it  to  talk and  then  I ’d have someone else  to  talk  to.
Nancy said the bird was really mean and that I  should not try
to  touch  it.  I   thought  to myself  that all he needs  is  time  to
trust me and maybe he will grow  to  like me.  I had started
forming a plan almost immediately in my head, but I  didn’t
voice my thoughts out loud. I  asked if he had a name, and
Nancy  said not  yet.  I   told her maybe we  could watch him
and see  if a name  fit his behavior. As  the days passed  I
talked to my new roommate every day. And I  put my hands
by  the  cage,  too. The  frightened  cockatiel would become
very  agitated  each  time  he  saw my  hand  was  near  and
always backed as  far away as he  could. When  I  put new
food  in his cage, he would always  try  to bite me.  I   let him
most  of  the  time  because  it  didn’t  hurt  too  much  and  I
wanted him  to know  I  wasn’t afraid of him. On weekends,
when Nancy was home, she would come and get him when
it was warm outside and say that he needed some fresh air
and she was going to hang him up in the sunshine. I  envied
his  time  in  the  sun.  Sometimes  when  she  came  in  with
dinner  I  would  remind her  to bring him  in. Usually after he
was back  inside, my efforts  to befriend  the silly guy would
continue. After a  few weeks of constantly  trying  to get him
used to my hand, I  got brave one day and I  put my hand in
the  cage. When  he  tried  to  bite me,  I   gently  pushed  his
beak away and said no, no. I  did this every day and slowly
but surely after about a week I  was able to have my hand in
the cage with no protesting. About this time I  was starting to
call him Sergeant, or Sarge, for short. He would pace back
and forth in his cage and it reminded me for some reason
of an army sergeant. So that’s what I  called him. Sarge was
a  great  singer;  he  especially  liked music  and would  sing
aloud whenever he heard a  tune.  I   first noticed  it as  I  was
singing A  to  sleep  and  couldn’t  really  hear myself  for  the
noise of one singsong bird. He would whistle and carry on
to  the  radio,  too. As  the days went by, his  feathers grew
back  and  the  glue  on  his  nose  peeled  off.  Sergeant
became much happier and would even sit on my  finger.  I
would  take him out of his cage and he would march back
and forth on the floor and make me and the baby laugh and
laugh.  I  didn’t really want  to show Nancy what  I  had  taught
Sarge  to  do.  I   thought  she  might  take  him  away  or  be
jealous. Whenever  Phillip  would  come  and  I   brought  out
Sarge,  he  would  be  amazed  at  the  transformation  from
angry, mean bird to proud marching, singing bird. He also
thought  that  I  shouldn’t make  too big of a deal about  it  to
Nancy.  He  thought  she  might  get  upset  that  I   had  not
listened when  she  said  I   couldn’t  touch  the bird.  I   said  to
him  that  she  just  said  I   shouldn’t  touch  him  because  he
bites, not that I  couldn’t. I  didn’t want to cause trouble and I
really  wanted  Nancy  to  like me.  I   had  come  to  love  that
proud little gray-and-yellow marching bird and hoped I  could
keep him as my own, but was  too  shy  to ask Nancy and
wished she wouldn’t take him away.
Summer came and went and fall slipped in. Nancy wasn’t
taking Sergeant out as much because it was getting colder.
But  one  day  she  came  in  and  said  she  thought  it  was
warmer  than usual and would  take him out  for an hour or
two and bring him back.  I  was watching TV and not  really
paying attention. Later that day Nancy brought dinner in and
left. I  didn’t get a chance to remind her of the bird. After I  ate
I   returned  to watching TV and didn’t  think about Sergeant
until  I  was getting  ready  for bed.  I  noticed no cage  in  the
corner.  I   wondered  if  Nancy  forgot.  I   had  no  way  of
contacting her next door;  they always  locked  the  iron door
so  there was no way  I  could go get him.  I  kept getting up
and  looking  out  the  window  as  I   pulled  the  towel  aside.
Where were  they?  I  didn’t see any  lights on  in  the studio.
Did Phillip say he was going on a “run” tonight with Nancy? I
couldn’t remember if he had told me anything. I  watched TV
to keep my mind from thinking the worst. I  hoped Sergeant
was alright.  I   feared he’d  freeze  if  left out  for much  longer.
Finally, Nancy came in with him and he looked okay. Nancy
felt  bad  that  she  forgot  to  bring  him  in  earlier.  She  and
Phillip went to get some speed from a friend. Sarge looked
to  be  okay  and was whistling  up  a  storm.  She  said  she
could  hear  him  squawking  all  the  way  to  the  front  yard.
That’s how she remembered that she had forgotten to bring
him inside. After she left, I  told Sarge how sorry I  was that
he was left out in the dark and gave him a sprig of millet for
a peace offering. He didn’t touch it and settled on his perch
for sleep, so I  covered his cage with a towel. A and I  went to
sleep, too.
The  next  morning  I   knew  something  was  wrong  the
minute I  woke up. Every other morning I  woke up to sounds
of  little  feet  on  newspaper.  Typing  on  the  computer  keys
reminds me of his little feet on the bottom of his cage. But
this morning I  heard nothing but silence. I  sat on the side of
the  bed  for  a while,  not wanting  to  know why  I   heard  no
noise  from  Sergeant.  I   finally  worked  up  the  courage  to
peek in the cage. I  saw my beloved marching bird dead on
the bottom of his cage. I  don’t know why, but I  had to touch
him one last time so I  put my hand in and touched him. He
was cold. I  cried a lot that day. The hardest part was waiting
for Phillip and Nancy to come in so I  could tell them Sarge
had died. When Phillip finally came in, I  started crying and
told him Sarge got cold and died. He at  first didn’t  think  it
was due to the cold but didn’t know what else it could have
been either. I  didn’t see Nancy that day. Later I  learned she
couldn’t face me because she thought I  blamed her. I  do.


কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন