মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

11.Christmas





The Today  show  says  that  today  is  December  25,
1993. I t is day 907 of my captivity. I t is Christmas Day. I  am
alone. I  am mostly always alone. No one to talk to; no one to
hug  me  unless  Phillip  comes  in.  He  gives  me  hugs
sometimes and makes me feel loved. But am I  really? Will I
always feel this alone? I  try not to dwell on the things I  don’t
have. Phillip thanks me for helping him with his problem. He
said he  is  reading  the Bible now and God  is helping him,
too. I  hate the sex so much, but at least it’s not as bad as
last year. Phillip has made  the  “runs” a  lot shorter and he
hasn’t  been  taking  any  drugs  in  between.  He  says  he’s
trying  to  quit.  The  last  “run” was  a  couple  of weeks  ago.
Sometimes he  comes  in  for  a  quick masturbation,  but  at
least he doesn’t always stick it in me. He says he saves it
now  for  the  “runs.”  I   hate  drugs,  I   wish  he  wouldn’t  take
them.  I   think  they  turn him  into another person. He seems
nice the rest of the time. That’s how I  get through the sex, I
just tell myself it will be over and he will come back and be
the  “nice” person  I   think he can be.  I   just have to get past
Feeling the pain.
He seems  to have an opinion on everything, especially
religion.  Ever  since  he  came  back  from  his  stay  at  the
prison  he  has  been  reading  the Bible  a  lot. He  says  the
mysteries  of  the  Bible  are  becoming  clear  to  him.  He
doesn’t seem really religious  to me. The “runs” have been
really  scary  lately, but  I ’m getting used  to  them. At  least  I
know what  to  expect. He  likes  to  follow  a  routine mostly.
He’s been acting strange lately, though. He thinks he hears
voices  from  the TV even when  it’s muted. He asks me  if  I
can  hear  it,  too,  and  I   say  I   don’t  hear  anything,  but
sometimes I ’m afraid to disagree with him. He bought this
device called Bionic Ears and he puts it up to the wall and
puts on headphones and listens to the wall for hours. On the
one hand, it’s great because I  don’t have to jack him off or
anything, but  it’s weird,  too. What does he hear? He says
he  hears  conversations  and  people’s  voices.  I   don’t  pay
much attention, it gives me the opportunity to get some rest.
Not much  is going on  for Christmas  today. Nancy  said
she  would  bring  me  a  plate  of  Christmas  dinner  that
Phillip’s mom makes. She and Phillip said they would have
eaten back here with me but his mother would be alone, so
they would come in later tonight. I  wonder what my mom is
doing today. They are probably having a nice family dinner
together. I  hope she is happy. I ’m sure Carl is a lot happier
now that I  am gone. I  don’t think he liked me much. I  got in
the  way  a  lot.  I   wonder  if  I   will  ever  feel  happy  again.  I
pretend I ’m happy a lot, just so Phillip and Nancy don’t feel
bad.  I’ve  learned  that having a good attitude around  them
makes  them want  to do more  for me. So  I   keep my  true
feelings to myself.
My  plans  for  the  day  are:  1. watch  the Today  show,  2.
Play a couple hours of Super Mario Bros., 3. T ake a nap,
and 4. Hopefully by then it will be dinnertime. My day. Very
exciting.  I   am  so  lonely.  I  wish  I   had  someone  to  talk  to.
Tomorrow will probably be the same.



Reflections

During these interceding months I  am moved back and
forth  from  the  “studio”  to  “next  door” many  times.  I ’m  not
sure why I  was shuffled from one room to the next. I  think a
part of it was because he liked to have some of his friends
come  over  and  smoke  weed  and  play  music  all  night.  I
remember  the music coming  from  the studio.  I t would  last
until  the wee  hours  of  the morning  sometimes.  I t was  so
loud  it was  hard  to  sleep.  I   got  used  to  hearing  it  and  it
became  easier.  I t made me  feel  like  he was working  to
improve  the  future, and  I   learned not  to mind.  I  never saw
any of the people that went in there with him. I  know Nancy
was in there and would have to sneak away to come over
and  feed me when  they  had  company.  I   think  it was  just
Phillip  in  there,  fiddling around with his sound equipment,
playing  by  himself.  I   really  began  to  think  he’d  be  a
musician one day. He had original songs that he wrote. He
said he taught himself to play guitar. He said his instrument
was bass but he amazed himself how well he played  the
guitar and keyboard. He said he didn’t really need anyone
to play with him, that with the equipment he had he could be
a one-man band. Nancy wanted to play the drums. She had
books on  the subject and she said  the drums were hers.  I
could hear her practicing on them sometimes, too.
During one of the times I  was “next door,” Nancy said she
was looking in the paper for another kitty for me. This time
they  wanted  to  get  me  a  kitten.  I   wasn’t  sure  I   wanted
another kitty.  I t was so hard  to give up  the  last kitten  that  I
really didn’t want  to go  through  that again. But  in  the end  I
didn’t  protest  very  much.  Nancy  found  an  ad  for  a  four-
week-old  kitten  in  the Pennysaver,  and  called  to  inquire.
Turns out  the kitten had a slight cold, but  I  decided  I  really
wanted  this one, so  they went  to go get her. She was  the
cutest thing I  had ever seen. She was fluffy and white and I
named  her  Snowy.  She  was  a  sweet  little  thing.  Phillip
didn’t want her to have the run of the room, so I  had to leash
her  to her scratching post.  I  would  let her off of  it when he
wasn’t around.  I t was hard during  “runs,”  though, because
she  would  cry  and  meow  so  loudly  wanting  to  get  free.
Phillip didn’t want cat hair sticking  to  the Vaseline  that he
used  for  masturbating  and  to  lubricate  me.  Eventually
Snowy interfered and interrupted too much with his fantasy
and he got rid of her, too.
At one time I  had a small tent in the room next door to
the studio. They got it for me for my birthday. (I know, ironic
gift, right?) I  had my own sleeping bag, a shelf which I  used
for a desk and bookshelf.  I  had my own TV  in  there,  too.
When Phillip would come  in  for sex,  I  would have  to  leave
my little sanctuary. Phillip was a lot longer than the tent, so it
didn’t work for him to come in and make me have sex. He
would  lay a blanket on  the  floor  “next door” and make me
lay  there and said he would be quick  if  I  didn’t struggle.  I
remember  laying  there with unshed  tears  in my eyes and
looking at my  little  tent and  longing  to crawl back  in. They
got me another cat, which I  named Eclipse. I  think I  had her
for  about  a month  until Phillip  took  her  away,  too.  I   don’t
remember why. I  do remember I  wrote a journal about her. I
would chronicle all the things she did during the day. I t’s one
of the few things I  eventually received back after the police
removed  evidence  from  the  property. The  front  looks  like
this:
As you can see, although I’ve always loved writing I ’m not
the best speller, as this cover shows. When I  got this journal
back  from  the police and  read  it,  I   noticed  I   had  torn  the
corners of  the  title page.  I t brought back  the memory and
how guilty I  felt for writing my name in the first place. In the
torn-off  corner  I   had  written:  “this  is  written  by  Jaycee
Dugard” on  the  first page of  that  journal.  I  wrote Eclipse’s
Journal  in  1993,  but  already Phillip’s  control  over my  life
was almost absolute. I  remember, I  was so proud that I  had
written  this  for  my  kitty  and  wanted  to  share  it  with
someone, I  showed it to Phillip and he saw that I  had put my
name in it. He preached to me for I  think an hour about how
I   really didn’t want  to write my name, and how dangerous
that could be if anyone else ever read it. I  thought to myself,
I  never see anyone, though, but I  didn’t interrupt because it
always ended with why he was right and I  was wrong. So I
tore out the corners with my name and never wrote my real
name on anything again until 2009.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন