মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

25.Discovery and Reunion





On August 24th, Phillip took the girls to the FBI  office in
San Francisco. He said  that he  liked  to  take  the girls with
him because he thought that people were more apt to listen
when  they were with him.  I   thought  that at  least  it gave  the
girls a chance to get out of the house for a little bit. We had
not been able to go anywhere during that year because we
had to take care of Pat and she couldn’t be left home alone
for  long.  The  advanced  stages  of  Parkinson’s  and
dementia were taking a toll on her.
When  Phillip  and  the  girls  returned  home  later  that
afternoon, everything seemed normal.  I  asked how  it went
and if everything went the way he wanted it to. And he said
he had met two cops from the Berkeley campus who were
very interested in what he presented. He said “they flipped”
(a term he used often when describing people’s reactions)
and were excited  to hear more about his discovery, which
was that others could hear him speaking with the power of
his mind with the aid of his “black box.” He also dropped off
his documents entitled “Schizophrenia Revealed” to the FBI
office in San Francisco that day, too. He said he was met
with similar reactions. According  to Phillip,  this was  it and
he was  finally  going  to  be  able  to move  forward with  his
“God’s  Desire”  church  and  “fight  for  God.”  I   really  didn’t
think too much about what he said that day because I  had
heard it countless times before. The truth is, I  didn’t want to
think  about  it  because  I   didn’t  want  to  be  disappointed
again. Time and again he would tell me that we would finally
get  going  and  the  kids  could  have  a  real  tutor  and  we
wouldn’t have  to work  so hard  just  to get by. Deep down
inside  I  secretly held  the hope  that someday  if he made  it
big, he would return me to my mom. So it was easier for me
to just concentrate on the jobs I  had to do and not ask too
many questions. I  learned not to ask too many questions to
protect myself  from constantly being disappointed with his
answers that were always vague and repetitious.
The  next  day,  the  25th,  I   was  in  the  “backyard  office”
finishing up a print job that was due the next day. The girls
were outside playing. Nancy was  in  the house  taking care
of Pat, and Phillip was probably also  in  the house, either
sleeping  or  reading  the  Bible.  I t  was  approximately  five
p.m. All  of  a  sudden,  Nancy  came  running  in  to  tell  me
Phillip had been arrested.  I  was  in shock. At  first  I   thought
she was joking, but then I  saw the worry on her face. I  told
her  to calm down, everything would be  fine. Phillip always
said if anything ever happened that we just needed to get a
lawyer, so I  told her we should look in the Yellow Pages for
a lawyer and a bail bondsman. I  told her that Phillip would
use his one phone call to call us and he would tell us what to
do.  I  didn’t want  to alarm  the girls and  scare  them.  I had
plenty  of  practice  keeping  calm  and  unaffected  on  the
outside when on the inside I  felt anything but calm.
Nancy and I  told the girls and they were scared. They had
no  idea why he had been arrested. None of us did at  that
point. Throughout the years, the girls and I  grew up knowing
Phillip  was  on  parole  for  hurting  a  woman,  was  sent  to
prison for many years, and that the parole agents that came
to  the house were  there  to supervise him. And  that  it was
our job to keep the fact that we lived there a secret from the
parole agents. So they knew that much. I  had been hearing
all about his prison experience for years from Phillip.
A  few  hours  later,  as  we  were  all  sitting  in  the  house
trying  to be calm and  just wait  for his call,  in walks Phillip
and his parole agent through the back porch door. We were
stunned and relieved. Phillip was always the one with all the
answers and we didn’t know what to do without him. Nancy
ran to Phillip and put her arms around him while shedding
tears of stress and  relief;  the girls and  I  watched  from  the
living room as his parole agent uncuffs him, instructs him to
report  the next morning  to  the Concord parole office, and
leaves. After many hours of holding it together, I  finally lost it
and started to cry. I t probably looked to everyone like I  was
relieved to have him back, but the truth is on the inside I  felt
like  they were  tears of anger. Yes,  I  was angry! Angry at
everything. Angry  at  the  parole  agent  for  taking  him  and
then not taking him. Angry at Phillip for not doing anything to
prevent  all  of  this. We  relied  on  him,  and  I   guess  in  that
instant  it became clear how much we  relied on him and  it
didn’t  really  look like he cared.  I t was all about  the angels
this and the angels that. What about us? I t was always the
same old thing with him.
On  some  level  I   wonder  how  he  possibly  could  have
come back. Perhaps it was true no one remembered me. I
know  it only  fed Phillip’s delusions  that he was  somehow
above  the  law.  Phillip  believed  that  all  the  coincidences
surrounding  him  from  his  kidnapping  of  me  and  getting
away with  it  to present-day  things  like his parole officers’
inability  to  hold  him  for  anything  were  not  just  mere
coincidence, but the work of the angels. His theory was that
before he  took me, he was developing  the ability  to hear
the angels and that in order to shut him up they allowed him
to  get  away with  taking me  and  thus  keep  him  occupied
and out of  their realm. He  thought  there was no other way
he would  have  possibly  gotten  away with  his  kidnapping
that day save for them. I  had always believed in the good of
angels and  this only  further confused me. Was Phillip  truly
special  and  in  the  eyes  of God worthy  of  protecting? Or
merely  making  this  whole  story  up  to  give  himself  an
excuse? What about me? Wasn’t I  worth anything, or was I
merely an object to use?
For the most part, we were all relieved and went to bed
thinking it was over. The next morning as I  was still sleeping
in my  tent, Phillip comes out and  tells me  through  the  tent
window that I  need to get dressed because we are all going
down to the parole office this morning. He said he was tired
of this harassment from the authorities and wanted them to
see that everything was okay so he could continue with his
“project/mission.” I  was scared. I  didn’t know what to say. I
got dressed and came inside to find the girls dressed and
ready, too. Before we left the property, Phillip had me type
up  a  letter  for  a  lawyer  that  was based  in  Concord.  He
wanted to leave it with him on our way to the parole office,
letting him  know  that  his  project was moving  forward. He
added that he would need this particular lawyer’s services
shortly. Pat was still asleep, so Phillip thought she would be
okay until we got back. I  asked him what I  should say when
we get to the parole office. He said to say that I ’m the girls’
mother and  that  I  gave him permission  to have  them with
him and that, yes, I  was aware that he was a sex offender. I f
asked anything else, he said I  should ask for a lawyer and
say no more. We all got in the car and he could see I  was
nervous. He  said  everything would  be  fine  and  we’d  get
some breakfast on the way home. I  couldn’t say anything; I
just shrugged my shoulders. On the inside I  was wondering
what he thought he was doing; did he really think we could
just walk into his parole office and nothing would happen?
But  after  years  of  being  conditioned  to  listen  to  him  on
everything, it was easy to not say anything. Nancy didn’t say
anything the whole way up. The girls said everything would
be okay. I  was nervous that I  would say the wrong thing and
mess up whatever he had planned. All he kept  telling me
was  to  not  be  afraid  and  if  I  was  harassed  to  ask  for  a
lawyer right away. Phillip always planned everything before
he did it, so I  assumed that he had thought this one out, too.
When we arrived at the Concord parole office we all got
out of the car. Phillip marched us in the door of the parole
office.  I   recognized Phillip’s  parole  officer  coming  toward
us.  Confusion  registered  on  his  face  when  he  saw  that
Phillip  had  brought  minors  into  the  office  with  him.  He
asked me, the girls, and Nancy to please come with him to
the back. He said children were not permitted in the waiting
room. As we were being led away from Phillip, I  remember
looking back at him and asking with my eyes what  to do.
He winked at me. That was all. The parole agent led us into
a private room and asked what we were doing here. I  told
him all the things that Phillip told me to say. I  gave him the
name Allissa because that was the name I  had been using
since G was born. I t was the name that our clients knew me
by. After he questioned mostly me for about twenty minutes,
asking questions like who I  was and what was my purpose
for staying with  the Garridos, he decided  to  let us go and
gave me his card and told us we could leave.
We  went  out  the  back  way  and  sat  in  the  car  willing
Phillip to walk out of the building so we could return home. I
still  could not  fathom what  the outcome of  that day would
turn out to be. Nancy was strangely quiet, and I  asked her if
I  did okay with  talking with  the agent. She said  I  did really
good and she couldn’t think of anything I  could have added.
She didn’t understand why Phillip had brought us all in the
first place. Phillip never walked down those steps.
Instead,  two parole agents came out. One was  the one
that questioned me, and he had a partner with him. When
we  saw  them  coming,  I   asked Nancy what  she  thought  I
should say or do. She said I  could pretend to be a distant
relative  of  Phillip’s  mother  from  Missouri. When  the  two
agents arrived at  the car,  they asked us  to get out of  the
car.  I   looked at Nancy and asked her what we should do.
She said she didn’t know. While  the new agent asked  the
girls  and Nancy  to  sit  on  the  curb, Phillip’s  parole  officer
asked me  to  step  away with  him  because  he  had  a  few
questions for me. I  felt like I  was in big trouble. He said that I
had been lying to him. He said that I  was not the mother of
these kids. I  looked him in the eye and stated, “I  gave birth
to both of those girls and that makes me their mother!” He
said  Phillip  said  that  all  three  of  us  were  actually  his
brother’s kids. I  didn’t know what to say. I  couldn’t think of a
reason why Phillip would say such a thing after he had told
me  to  tell everyone  that  I  was  the mother of  the girls.  I   felt
like he abandoned me.
I   started  to  think  that  I   was  in  real  danger  of  getting
separated from my girls because  this man did not believe
me. He thought me a liar. I  thought this man would take the
kids from me if he thought I  wasn’t their mother, so I  started
to fight. And that’s what I  tried to do even though I  hated to
tell  this man  lies,  I  did my best  to convince him.  I  am not
proud of that today, but I  did what I  had always done … tried
to survive an impossible situation. I  told him that Phillip was
lying  for me,  that  I  was  running  from an abusive husband,
and I  didn’t want anyone to know where I  was. I  went on and
on. By  this  time,  the kids were really scared. My youngest
daughter  had  to  go  to  the  bathroom.  The  officer  said  to
walk with him  to  the bathroom. We started walking, and  I
tried again to convince the officer to let us go. He said he
had  to  call CPS  [Child Protective Services]. Phillip  spent
years  trying  to  convince me  he  was  the  one  with  all  the
power  and  answers.  I  was  so  scared,  and  even  though  I
was so close  to having my  life back,  I  still could not crash
through the wall that he built inside of me.
A new female officer came, and the kids and Nancy were
separated  from me.  In some strange way,  it  felt  like  I  had
become the suspect. I  was alone in a room all by myself. I
thought I  would never see my kids again. The officer thought
I  had  taken  the  kids and  run away  from  somewhere. The
officers said that if I  didn’t tell them my name and the truth, I
would be taken down to the police station and fingerprinted
and then they would find out who I  was. I  didn’t know what to
do.  I   asked  to  see Phillip. They  brought  him  in  handcuffs
into the room I  was in. I  looked at him. I  asked him in front of
the officers what I  should do. I  told him they might take the
girls away  from me and  I  couldn’t  let  that happen.  I  didn’t
know what  to do. He had always been  the one with all  the
answers. Now all he did was  look at me with dead eyes
and  said  I   needed  to  get  a  lawyer.  They  took  him  away.
After what seemed like another hour of me sitting in a room
by  myself,  apparently  giving  me  time  to  think  about  my
situation, they sent a woman officer to come talk to me.
During  that  time  alone  I   was  beginning  to  realize  that
Phillip was gone and that I  was on my own and needed to
take  care  of my  girls.  But  I   had  been  so  conditioned  to
protect  Phillip  and Nancy  that  telling  a  stranger my  story
was  not  easy  for me  and  I   could  not  do  it  at  first.  I   had
asked  for  a  lawyer  several  times,  but  the  answer  I   kept
getting was, Why  did  I   think  I   needed  a  lawyer  if  I   said  I
didn’t do anything wrong?
The woman officer was sympathetic and  reassured me
that my kids were okay and  that  I  would see  them again.  I
told her  I  didn’t know what  to do. She asked again  for my
name  and  I   told  her  I   couldn’t  tell  her.  She  told  me
everything  happens  for  a  reason  and  that  everything was
going  to be okay. She  left.  I  was alone again. She came
back a while later. I t felt like an eternity. I  must have gone to
the bathroom a million times. When she returns she tells me
Phillip  has  confessed.  She  said,  “He  confessed  to
kidnapping you several years ago.” She asked me again
for  my  name  and  asked  how  old  I   was  when  I   was
kidnapped.  I   felt  like I   had  just  been waiting  for  the  right
question, and I  said I  was eleven and that I  was twenty-nine
now. She was shocked. She asked  for my name again.  I
said I  couldn’t say it. I  wasn’t trying to be difficult. I  told her I
haven’t said  it  in eighteen years.  I   told her  I  would write  it
down. And  that’s what  I   did. Writing  shakily  on  that  small
paper, the letters of my name:

JAYCEELEEDUGARD

I t was  like breaking an evil spell.  In  that moment,  I felt
free but also exhausted and completely alive all at the same
me. Talk about an emotional  roller coaster.  I  wrote down
my name for the first time in eighteen years. She also had
me  write  down  my  date  of  birth  and  mother’s  name.  I
looked at her and said, I  can see my mom? She said, Yes!
After  they  had my  name  and  realized  who  I   was,  they
quickly reunited me with my girls.  I  was so relieved. Plans
were made  to  take me and  the girls over  to  the Concord
police  station  where  everyone  thought  we’d  be  more
comfortable.
At the police station, I  was given a room to wait in while
the girls were entertained in the front office. I  guess they felt
like I  needed some time by myself. During this time, I  was
visited  by many  people  including  the  female  officer  that  I
had given my name  to.  I  didn’t know why  I  was waiting  in
that  room.  I   was  asked  for  my  story  a  few  times,  and  I
recounted as much as I  could in all instances. During one of
these  visits  I  met Officers  T odd  and Beth.  They  came  to
introduce  themselves  and  asked if  there  was  anything  I
needed. At first I  said no but then I  reconsidered because I
could hear G in the other room talking to anyone that would
listen about how worried she was about her hermit crabs
back at the house. I  asked Officer T odd if it was possible to
get the hermit crabs from the house and let her have them,
and he said he would see what he could do. I  was also very
concerned  about  our  cats  and  the  two  dogs  I   had  been
taking care of for J, the neighbor. The two officers said they
would  try  to  get  some  answers  for me. Alone  again  the
tears I  had been holding back finally came pouring out, no
longer waiting for permission to fall.
Next step  involved me, a phone, and  two officers  from
the  El  Dorado  County  Sheriff’s  office.  I t  was  the  much-
anticipated phone call  to my mom.  I  was  really  running on
adrenaline by then; I  couldn’t eat the food that was offered, I
think  I  had  taken a sip of a Dr Pepper. My stomach was
tied  up  in  knots.  The  officers  first  asked  if  I   had  any
questions about anything and the question that popped into
my  mind  and  I   asked  was,  “Is  my  mom  still  with  my
stepfather, Carl?”  I  was  informed  that my mom  and Carl
had been separated for years and no longer lived together.
I   was  relieved  because  I   had  been  anxious  about  going
back to a house with Carl there. I  had come to resent him
for always  trying  to separate me and my mom when  I  still
had time with her.
In the room with the two officers and the phone sitting on
the desk, all I  could think of was “Mom.” That one word was
swimming  round  and  round  in my  head.  I   had  so much  I
wanted  to  say,  but  as  I   sat  there  listening  as  the  phone
rang, it felt like my tongue weighed a thousand pounds. The
first call was placed to her house. The phone rang and rang
and just when they were prepared to cut the connection and
try a different number,  the phone picked up and a  female
voice answered, “Hello?” The officers ask for my mom and
it sounds like the voice on the other end says she is at work
and  can  be  reached  there. The  officers  ask  if  this  is  her
daughter and when they get the answer “yes,” they proceed
to tell her the reason for calling. I  am sitting there listening,
thinking  that  I   cannot  believe  they  are  talking  to my  baby
sister. There were  times  in  the backyard  that  the people  I
loved  took on an almost dreamlike state and became not
real  but  imaginary  people  from  my  past.  The  officers
concluded  the  call  by  saying  that  they would  be  in  touch
again as soon as  they got ahold of our mom and hung up
the  phone.  The  next  call  they  placed  was  to  my  mom’s
workplace in an attempt to contact her. This time they were
put through to her and by the time I  heard her voice on the
other line, I  was at a complete loss for words. I  don’t even
remember what  I  said.  I’ve asked my mom since and she
told me that I  said I  had babies. I  can’t believe I  said that! I
meant  something  completely  different,  not  that  my  kids
were babies, but  I   just wanted her  to know  I  wasn’t alone
and that I  came with kids and in a way that was my attempt
to  see  if  she would  accept  them with me.  I   knew  I  would
never leave my kids and if my mom rejected them for some
reason,  I   didn’t  know  what  I   would  do.  I   wanted  her
desperately, but I  was also a mother with a responsibility to
my girls. Luckily, that turned out to not even be an issue and
we were all accepted with open arms.  I  believe  I  also got
out  the  words,  “Come  quick!”  I   remember  hearing  her
screaming  on  the  other  end  that  “My  daughter  has  been
found!” over and over and then I  said “I  love you!” and that’s
all I  remember from the initial call to my mom. I  wish I  could
remember every moment, but my mind was on overload.
Officer Todd arranged for the three of us to stay at a hotel
that night, and as we  left  the CPD, we drove past a news
van and barely missed being discovered. When we arrived
at the hotel, Todd’s partner, Beth, who we had also met at
the CPD,  brought  us  some  pajamas  and  toiletries.  T odd
pulled me aside and mentioned that the girls weren’t eating
because I  wasn’t eating and that if I  ate, it would help them.
So  I   announced  I   was  hungry  and  we  decided  on
enchiladas  for dinner.  I  could only  force down a couple of
bites, but at  least  it was something. And  the girls ate. We
were left alone together for the first time all day, and I  was
encouraged to tell the girls what was happening and why. I
tried to explain everything to them in a way I  thought would
be  right. As we  sat  on  the  bed  together  that  night  and  I
recounted  to  them  all  that  their  dad was  responsible  for,
they were surprisingly open to all that I  said and didn’t really
seem surprised  to hear any of  it.  I   told  them  that  the days
ahead would be tough on them both and me, too, but that I
would  do  all  I   could  to make  the  right  decisions  for  our
future and no matter what, we would be together. I  told them
I  would never leave them.
A knock on the door brought more people to meet, these
two  being  the  victim  advocates  assigned  to me  and my
daughters.  After  introductions,  we  were  left  to  our  own
privacy again.
I   was  nervous  about  the  reunion  the  next  day  with my
mom  and  sister, who  I  was  desperate  to meet. The  girls
were very supportive and excited for me. They slept in one
bed together, leaving me to toss and turn in the other bed. I
don’t think I  slept more than a few minutes that night. I  had a
terrible  sinus  headache from  crying  for  several  hours.
Questions  like: What  if my mom doesn’t accept  the girls?
What  if my mom hates me? What  if my mom  is  still with
Carl?  Could  I   have  tried  harder  to  leave? …  That  night,
many  thoughts  and  fears  and  guilty  feelings  regarding
Phillip and Nancy  tried  their best  to  implant  themselves  in
my head, and  it  left me  feeling exhausted by morning. My
world had turned upside down, and I  didn’t know what to do.
I   had  fears  for my  daughters. Would  I   be  able  to  protect
them  in  the outside world?  I  always had Phillip  to protect
them for me when we went out. And all of a sudden it was
just me. Everyone that I  had encountered had been so nice
and I  felt protected with them, but I  had a fear it would end
soon and I ’d be alone.
The next day finally came after a long and restless night. I
was so nervous my stomach was full of butterflies. Would I
recognize her? Would she remember me? Would she like
the  person  I   had  become? Would  she  be  mad  at  me?
Would  she  accept  my  girls  as  her  grandkids?  I   had  so
many  questions  and  thoughts.  Too many  for my mind  to
process. When  I  was  told  that my sister and my aunt had
come with my mom, I  was so excited and nervous that I  had
to  remind myself  to  breathe.  Every  time  someone  would
say the word “mom” I  would burst out crying. The FBI  agents
that had been brought in said they were going to brief her
and then I  would be able to see her. The briefing seemed to
take  forever,  but  the  time  finally  came.  With  a  last
encouraging hug from each of the girls I  followed one of the
many people  to  the elevator. Prior  to  that  I  was asked  if  I
prefer to meet my mom alone initially, and I  said that I  would
like  that  and  to  please  bring  the  girls  in  later.  Once
downstairs I  was escorted to the door of the room she was
in.  I ’m not sure  if  I   truly believed  that my mom was  in  that
room waiting  for me.  I  was convinced  that  this day would
never happen. On the threshold of the room I  was frozen for
a minute,  I   couldn’t move.  I   just  stared  wide-eyed  at  the
door. Finally, I  took a deep breath and I  made myself walk
through  the  door. And  there  she  was!  I   knew  it  was  her
instantly. For the longest time I  couldn’t remember what she
looked  like.  I  would  try  to draw her, but her  face wouldn’t
come to mind. Sometimes different aspects of each of my
daughters reminded me so much of my mom, but I  couldn’t
pinpoint exactly what  it was because  I  had  forgotten what
she looked like. But there she stood, with arms wide open. I
walked to her and she was smiling and crying and she put
her  arms  around me  and  I   felt  so  safe  and whole  again.
Even now just writing about it brings tears to my eyes. I  told
her  she  smelled  the  same,  she  said  it was  smoke, but  it
was  more  than  that—I   remembered  her  scent,  like  I
remembered from when I  was young. I t was the same; she
was  my  mom  and  she  was  holding  me.  The  whole
experience felt surreal.
As we stood there crying on each other’s shoulders, she
pulled back a little to look me in the eye and hold on to my
shoulders. She said to me, “I  knew I  would see you again.
Do you remember when we used to sit outside on the porch
swing and  talk about  the moon as  it rose high  in  the sky?
Well, when you were taken from me, I  used the moon to talk
to you. I’ve been talking to you for so long. The other night
the moon was full and bright and I  asked the moon, Okay,
where are you, Jayc? The next day  I  get  the call  that you
have  been  found.”  I   look  at  her  astonished.  I   tell  her  I
remember that moon, too. I  was walking out to my tent and
for some reason I  looked up and stared at the moon for a
few minutes. I t seemed strange to me at the time because I
usually avoided looking at the moon. I  tell her that it was too
painful because  it brought back memories of her. But  that
moon was so bright  it caught my eye.  “Now  I ’m here with
you.”
We hug some more and then sit down to catch up on our
many years apart.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন