মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

7.First Kitty





He says he is going to get me a kitty. I  have been telling
him how lonely I  am and how much I  love cats and all about
the ones I  used to have. I  am so excited I  can’t wait to have
a kitty to talk to. All I  do is lie here in this room all day long. I
am so bored. He doesn’t  leave  the cuffs on me anymore.
One day after he was done having sex with me, he said if I
promised to be good he would leave the cuffs off. He was
going to trust me because he didn’t want to put them back
on me; he wanted me to be more comfortable. I  thought of
many things I  could say, but none of them were polite, so I
just nodded. After he left and I  got cleaned up in the bucket
of water he left, I  thought about venturing into the other room
that is attached to the room that I  am in. I  made sure that I
could hear the lock on the outer door click closed before I
even  dared  to move,  then  I   sat  up  and  listened  to all  the
sounds  I   could  hear.  Sometimes  I   can  hear  him  coming
even before I  hear the lock. I  can hear a lot of things that I
never noticed before. I  listen to the outside a lot. I  hear the
train—the whistle and how it rolls on the tracks. I  can hear
someone mowing  the  grass.  I   can  hear  birds. And  I   can
hear  airplanes  overhead.  I   miss  being  outside.  I   am  so
bored just sitting in here. I  even miss brushing my teeth. Oh,
what  I  would  give  for  a  toothbrush!  I  will  never  forget  the
time my stepfather Carl grounded me  for not brushing my
teeth. He  believed  in  brushing  after  every meal.  I   admit  I
sometimes didn’t brush after every meal. One day my friend
Shawnee must  have  called  and  he  picked  up  the  phone
without telling me. She asked him if she and her dad could
take me with them to the movies. I  guess he said yes, and a
little  while  later  she  was  knocking  on  the  front  door.  I
answered the door and was surprised to see her because I
didn’t know she was coming; Carl didn’t tell me. She asked
if  I  was ready  to go  to  the movies; she assumed Carl had
told me about  the movie and  that  I  should get  ready. Carl
announced  I   couldn’t  go  because  I   didn’t  brush my  teeth
after breakfast. He said he had checked and the brush was
dry.  I  pleaded with him.  I  said  I  would go brush  them  right
now, I  said I  brushed them when I  woke up, I  added I  really
wanted  to go and  if  I  had known  I  would have brushed my
teeth.  But  he  refused  to  relent,  and  I   stayed  behind  with
tears running down my face as Shawnee and her dad went
off to the movies together. For some reason that day sticks
in my  head.  I ’m  thinking  about  it  because  I   don’t  have  a
toothbrush and I  know Carl would be really mad at me given
that I  haven’t brushed my teeth in weeks. I t would be funny
to see the look on his face if I  ever told him that. I  do try to
keep my  teeth  clean  by  using my  finger to  scrape  off  the
plaque. It’s amazing how much plaque actually builds up on
teeth,  especially  the  back  ones.  My  tongue  works  for
polishing,  too.  I  wonder  if  I  will ever be given a  toothbrush
again.
I   sleep a  lot  to pass  the  time.  I f  I  ever get  to go home
again, the first thing I  want to do is hug my mom and never
let go. The second  thing  I  can’t wait  for  is  to  run  free. My
legs are so cramped here. I  miss being able to run outside
with my friends. I f I  ever get to go home, I  would love to have
my  own  dog.  I f  I   ever  get  the  chance,  I  will  run  along  the
beach with my  faithful dog by my side.  I  will  take my dog
everywhere with me and never be alone again. We will take
long hikes together and he will run by my side as I  ride my
bike.
I   finally  rally my  courage  and  decide  to  check  out  the
other  room.  I  am very curious  to see what’s  in  there. As  I
creep  in,  it  is very dark. There are no windows  that  I  can
see. There  is a drum set and microphone stands and big
huge speakers throughout the room. Phillip told me that he
used  to  play  music  in  here  before  I   came.  Sometimes
Phillip brings his guitar in and plays music and sings to me.
Sometimes  I   feel  like  I’ve heard his songs before. Once  I
asked and he said he wrote all the songs himself. He thinks
he’s going  to have a big music career one day.  I  wonder.
He says he is very good. And someday he will be famous. I
know I ’m not supposed to, but I  try to push on the big door
that  leads  to  the  outside.  I t  is  solidly  locked. There  is  no
hope of escaping. I  don’t know what I  would have done if it
had actually opened. I  have no idea where I  am, and Phillip
says  that  the Dobermans are still patrolling the yard. I  fear
he will  find out  that  I   tried  to open  the door somehow. He
seems  to know everything.  I  don’t want  to get  in  trouble.  I
just want to go home.
I   tiptoe very quietly back  to my  room and  look around.  I
check out the strange equipment now that I  can get a close-
up view of them. I  asked Phillip what they were and he said
they were mixers  for mixing his music. He  said  they  cost
thousands of dollars, but his mother, Pat, bought  them  for
him for his music career. He said he can mix his own music
and he didn’t need someone else to do it for him. That way
it could be  just  the way he wanted  it  to sound.  I  had never
heard of a mixer before.
Before he  left  today he brought me a very small black-
and-white TV.  I t doesn’t get many  channels, but at  least  I
can  hear  people  talking.  At  night  it  gets  much  better
reception and I  watch the late shows. During the day it only
gets infomercials and QVC. Very boring, but I  seem to like
it more and more. Sometimes like today I  fall asleep to the
sound of some lady trying to sell me an opal necklace.
I  wake  up  the  next morning …  at  least  I   think  it  is  still
morning.  I   think  I   am  getting more  used  to  sensing what
time  it  is. Phillip usually comes  to see me  in  the morning
and  then  again  during  the  evening when  it  gets  dark.  I ’m
hoping he will bring me my new kitty today.
I  feel like I  haven’t eaten for a while. I  can finally go to the
bathroom anytime I  need to. He has left a bucket for me in
the  corner  covered  with  a  piece  of  wood.  I   feel  better
knowing  I   don’t  have  to  hold  it  in  until  he  comes.  I
sometimes  look out  the window.  I  have seen  the dogs he
talks about. Other than that, all I  see are fences and weeds.
I  wonder  if  there are any people nearby.  I  wonder where  I
am.
I  can hear him unlocking  the door. He  is coming. Now  I
can hear his  footsteps.  I  hope he hasn’t come  for sex. He
walks in and tells me to close my eyes. He says he has a
surprise for me. I  close my eyes and when I  open them I  see
my new kitty. I t looks like it is a couple months old and looks
half-grown already.  I   feel disappointed.  I  was hoping  for a
little  kitten,  but  I   do  not  want  him  to  see  that  I   am
disappointed. I  smile and act happy. I  am happy I  will have
company. The kitty meows and he hands  it  to me.  I  ask  if
it’s a boy or girl, and he says  it’s a girl. She  looks kind of
like a dark tiger. With stripes running down her back. I  pet
her, and he says he is going to go find a box for the litter. I
try  to  think  of  a  name  for  her  and  I   decide  on  Tigger—
bouncing  Tigger  from Winnie  the Pooh. Tigger  is  always
happy and never sad. My new Tigger starts to explore her
surroundings, and  I  sit back and watch her. Phillip comes
back with a litter box and food and water. Then he says that
he  has  to  go  and  take Nancy  to work.  I   have  asked  him
about the other person that was with him when he got me,
and he says that it was Nancy, his wife. At first he wouldn’t
tell me  and  would  just  say  it  was  just  some  person  that
wasn’t  around  anymore,  but  sometimes  I   can  hear  him
talking to someone outside, and I  kept wondering who that
was and he finally told me. I  wonder if I  will get to meet his
wife, Nancy. I  hope so. I  would really like to meet her. I  am
so lonely. Maybe one day she will come in and talk to me.
I  have plans  to  teach my new kitty  to come when  I  call
her. I  can’t wait to get started. He leaves and says he will be
back  later. Again,  I   hope  it’s  not  for  sex.  Sometimes  if  I
think really hard on something that I  don’t want to happen, it
doesn’t  happen.  It’s the  stuff  that  I   don’t  think  about  that
happens.  So  I   try  to  think  of  everything  that  he  could
possibly do so  it doesn’t happen. This  is my  theory, but  it
doesn’t  always work  because  he  always  comes  back  for
the sex. He says I  am helping him with his sex problem. He
says  that  instead  of  him  hurting  other  people  with  his
“problem,” he took me and brought me here so I  could help
him and he wouldn’t have to hurt anyone else ever again. I
think that sounds really weird, but I  also don’t want him to do
what he  is doing  to me  to someone else. So what choice
do I  have? I ’m hoping if he sees that I  am good and does
what he says that he will let me go home soon. When he is
not hurting me, he likes to make me laugh. He says he likes
it when I  smile. Right now it is hard to find a reason to smile,
but I  think it best to keep him happy.
I   think  I  have missed  the  field  trip  to  the water park by
now. I  wonder if it was fun. I  wonder what Shawnee is doing
right now. I  miss playing with her. And I  was going to send
my  best  friend  Jessie  a  letter  soon.  I  miss  her  so much.
Ever since I  moved to Tahoe I  never get to see her anymore
and  I  miss playing with her.  I  wonder  if  I  will ever see her
again.  I   wonder  if  anyone  is  looking  for  me.  I   can’t
remember a day since  “the day”  that  I  haven’t cried. Will  I
ever  again  have  a  day without  crying?  I  wonder what my
mom is doing right now.
He is coming to take my Tigger away. I  am so sad. He
says he can’t stand the smell when he comes in and the cat
is peeing everywhere in here. I  want to deny everything he
says, but I  can’t. I  don’t think this is a good environment for
Tigger. She wants  to get out and run and play. She is tired
of being in this room. I  think that’s why she is acting out and
peeing everywhere. I  have begun to feel guilty for asking for
her in the first place. I  should have thought about the place
we were going  to put her. This  is no place  for a kitty. He
says  his  aunt  is  an  animal  lover  and  will  take  her.  I   am
happy she will go to a happier place. But I  am still sad. I  will
be alone again. The time has come and he takes her away.
He  says  that maybe  one  day  I   can  see  her  again  and  I
shouldn’t cry about it.



Reflection

I t hurts to write about this part. This has turned out to be
a  very  hard  book  to  write.  Part  of me  does  not  want  to
continue. T o reenter  the state of mind  I  was at  that age  is
difficult and twists my insides. The more I  write, the harder it
becomes. On  the one hand,  I  want  to go on.  I   feel  that  if  I
don’t,  then  I   continue  to  protect my  kidnapper  and  rapist
and I  don’t have the need to do that any longer. On the other
hand,  this  is something  I  have worked hard  to put behind
me and to write about it in such detail years later is difficult.
T o get inside my head and relive all this stuff that happened
back then is terribly hard for me … I  want to go on and I  will
finish it …


Father’s Day, 2010


Yesterday was  Father’s Day  and  the man  that  I   have
been told is my father issued a statement in essence telling
me  to call him. He’s saying he’s dying of cancer.  I  did not
call. I  feel torn. I  do not know this man that is my father. I  do
not want to feel sorry for this man that has chosen not to be
a part of my life.
When  I  was nine,  I  became  curious as  to who my dad
was. I  would wonder if maybe he was a prince. That would
explain why  he  couldn’t  live with  us  because  of  his many
duties to his country, or maybe he was a navy ship captain
that died on a secret mission. I  wondered if he loved me. I
guess  around  the  time  my  sister  was  born,  I   started  to
notice other kids around me with dads and then there was
my  little sister with a dad  that doted on her, and  I  wanted
one, too. I  noticed my stepfather, Carl, treated my sister so
differently  than he had been  treating me.  I t made me  feel
unloved and unwanted.
I   remember asking my mom what my  real  dad’s  name
was and she  replied,  “His name  is Ken.” And  I   remember
smiling and said, “Like Barbie’s Ken?” I  asked if she had a
picture, but she didn’t. I  asked if he had ever seen me, and
she said that he had chosen not to. I  didn’t understand why
at the time. But it made me feel sad. After that I  didn’t bring
up the subject again. I  had my mom, who I  knew wanted me
and loved me, and I  wanted that to be enough.
The  next  time  I   remember  thinking  about  the man  that
fathered me was when I  was kidnapped. For a brief second
I   thought maybe  this was my  father who  took me.  I   know
now this was the farthest thing from the truth. I  even asked
Phillip  if  he  was  my  father  in  the  beginning  and  he
immediately said no.
Now as I  sit and write about these moments of my life, I
feel  confused. What  should  I   feel? What  should  I   think?  I
must answer these questions on my own now. For so long
decisions were made for me. This confusing topic was not
something I  had to think about in that backyard.
I  don’t want to have to make a decision on this issue right
now. I  want time to adjust and make a life for myself and my
family before  I  decide whether or not  I  want a  relationship
with my biological father. I  am still coming to terms with the
manipulation I  suffered at the hands of Phillip. I  don’t need
another man  issuing me ultimatums.  I  know what  I  want.  I
want more time to decide. I  want to be in charge of when I
feel  I ’m  ready  to meet  this  stranger  and  his  family. Even
though it has been almost a year from my captivity, I  don’t
feel  the  time  is  right.  I   am  through  with  living  with  other
people’s  demands  and  wants.  I   feel  guilt where  there
should be no guilt. I t was not me who chose not to see his
daughter when he had the chance. He could have made the
effort to come and visit for the first eleven years of my life.
He made the choice not to. He made that choice, and I  am
not condemning him for it. But by choosing to not be a part
of my life back then; now I  am an adult and I  get to choose if
and when I  want to see him.
I  have not had many positive male role models in my life.
Since my release I  have been introduced to some amazing
fathers. I  finally see with my own eyes what a father truly is
and what  it means  to each of  them.  I  see what good men
are supposed to act like. Although each father is unique in
his own way,  they all have one  thing  in common—genuine
love for their children. I  met a dad that has part-time custody
of  his  son. Although  he  does  not  see  his  son  24/7,  their
bond  is deep and binding. You can see  it by  the way  they
interact and  talk  to each other. He never claims  to be  the
perfect dad, but he strives to be better than the dad he had.
He wants  to  be  in  his  son’s  life  through  good  times  and
bad. In my mind this makes him a super dad. He reminds
me of my mom in a lot of ways. Another dad I  have met is a
stepfather.  My  experience  with  stepfathers  wasn’t  the
greatest.  In my mind a stepparent never  loves  the stepkid
as much  as  their  own.  I   guess  I   think  this way  because  I
never  felt  loved or accepted by my  stepfather. Now  I   see
there  are many  forms  of  love  and  a  stepparent  can  love
their  kids  and  the  stepkids  differently  but  still  love  and
accept  them.  Although  some  stepparents  and  stepkids
might not see eye-to-eye on some things, they can still have
genuine  affection  for  one  another.  I   have  never  seen  this
stepfather making fun of his stepkids like Carl used to do to
me. Shayna was his daughter;  there was no doubt about
that. He was very proud to have a daughter of his own. I t left
me feeling in the way. Perhaps this added to my sense of
loneliness that I  feel I  have carried around for a long time.
I  don’t  know why my  biological  father made  the  choice
not to see me. I  might never know the answer. I  know now
that he has two families, and I  wonder if he takes the time to
appreciate  them.  I   know  he  must  feel  badly  about  what
happened to me, but it was not his fault and could not have
been prevented. Well, maybe it could have been prevented
by  some  law  changes  and  more  supervision  for  sex
offenders by  the government, but  that’s hindsight. No one
could  have  foreseen  what  would  happen  to  me  or  ever
thought it was possible in that small T ahoe community. The
fact  is  it  happened.  I t’s  over  now.  I   do  not  live  my  life
constantly wishing that I  could change the past. I  am thankful
to be alive.  I  am  thankful  for my daughters.  I  am  thankful  I
have an incredibly strong mom who never gave up on me. I
am  thankful  for my beautiful, bright  sister and  loving aunt.
And  I  am  thankful  for  the countless others  I  have come  to
know since my rescue. Genes, I  have learned, do not make
a family. Families are the people that stick around through
good and bad  times. Sadness  is part of  life. Choosing  to
be happy and see the glass half full is a struggle we all must
make. At  this point  I  don’t  know what  the  future holds  for
me.  I   am  enjoying  what  freedom  I   have  and  discovering
things about myself I  never knew. Will I  choose to meet my
biological father one day? I  don’t know the answer to that. I
know for now I  am not ready, and if that’s too hard for him to
understand, then that’s too bad for him because I  think I  just
might be worth waiting for.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন