মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

24.Surviving





Pat has become very ill. Phillip lets the girls stay in the
house with her  to keep her company. The other night she
fell and the girls called Phillip and he called an ambulance.
She  was  taken  to  the  hospital  and  diagnosed  with
Parkinson’s  and  low-grade  dementia. Nancy, myself,  and
the girls are pitching in to take care of her, which is turning
out  to  not  be  easy. She  is  losing  her  ability  to walk  and
cannot go  to  the bathroom by herself.  I  am allowed  in  the
main  front  house  to  take  my  shift  with  her.  Nancy  has
started sleeping  in  the house  to be near her at night, and
the  girls  are  sleeping  in  the  blue  building  which  I   have
always called “next door.” I  am sleeping in my tent out back.
Every few years I  get a new tent because tents don’t last
forever. This one is going to last me a little longer than the
others because a month prior  to putting  it up, Phillip had
built an elevated floor for it and it helps to keep it dry. Phillip
is sleeping in the house on the couch or in the spare room
with Nancy. A new  law has been enacted and he  is being
seen quite a bit by his parole officer.  I t makes  it harder  to
go on outings now.
A few months later, Phillip was suddenly informed that he
has  another  new  parole  officer  and  needs  to  report  in.
When his parole agent would come over  in  the beginning,
Phillip  would  tell  us  that  we  needed  to  stay  in  the  back.
Eventually he started  to get mad at  the system and didn’t
care  if we were  in  the house or not. He now  lets  the kids
sleep in the house. One time a parole agent paid a surprise
visit on Phillip and saw one of  the girls sleeping  in one of
the spare rooms. I  was told of this later by the girls because
they were  scared.  Phillip  told me  the  next  time  a  parole
agent came to the house, I  was to ask if he was the one that
went into my daughter’s room.
After that Phillip was informed he was getting yet another
new parole officer. One day when I  was in the house taking
care of his mother, this new parole agent came and I  asked
him  if  he  was  the  agent  who  walked  into my  daughter’s
bedroom. He answered no and  I  proceeded  to wheel Pat
back  to her  room. He  took Phillip’s urine sample and  left.
More and more  frequent visits are occurring at  the house,
and  Phillip  is  becoming  more  and  more  frustrated  and
paranoid.  In  his  mind  he  is  doing  nothing  wrong.  I t’s
preventing  him  from  doing  this  effectively  with  all  the
monitoring. He wants to get a lawyer and get off of parole.
There  is a washer and dryer  in  the house, but  the dryer
doesn’t  work  and  neither  does  the  washer,  but  we
desperately  need  a washer.  The  printing  business  is  not
doing so well and we don’t have a lot of money, especially
for  going  to  the  Laundromat and washing  clothes. Phillip
has finally fixed the washer. In order to use it, though, it has
to  be  outside  because  the  drainage  in  the  house  is  not
working. So we moved the washer outside. I t was incredibly
heavy  and  took  all  of  our  strength  to move  it  out  to  the
middle  of  the  yard  under  a  pine  tree. Once  he  got  it  all
hooked up, it was so nice being able to do the laundry and
not waiting for it to pile up on us. Especially since Pat has
gotten sick and has had a  lot of bed wetting and pooping
accidents and we would have to wash her sheets a lot.
I t seems like the house has started to fall apart since Pat
got sick. Nancy found a huge water puddle in the middle of
the  house  and  when  Phillip  went  under  to  check  it  out
discovered  the  pipes were  rotting.  The  downstairs  porch
sink  was  always  backed  up  with  water  and  Phillip  has
showed us how to drain it with a siphon hose. I t has to be
done at least three times a day or the sink tub will overflow
and  then  we’d  have  to  clean  up  the  floor.  I t’s  already
happened a few times and is a pain to soak up all the water
on the floor. The water that backs up from the drain is black
and gray—it’s so disgusting! I  hate the job of draining. But I
hate my shift with his mom even more. She is getting really
demented and the only one she is nice to is her darling son
who could never do anything wrong. She says really mean
things when I  have to take her to the bathroom or walk her
or exercise her. She hates everything except Phillip. Nancy
has a hard time with her, too, but sometimes can get her to
listen.  I   feel  like  she  deep  down  hates  me,  though,  and
knows what I  represent even though we have never told her,
I   think  she  knows  I   represent  a  side  of  her  son  that  she
doesn’t want to acknowledge exists.
Before she fell I  had only seen her a couple of times. She
knew  me  as  Allissa,  the  sister  of  the  girls  that  Nancy
brought over from down the street, which was the story that
Phillip  told her. Sometimes  I   think he would say  these are
your  grandkids,  too.  I ’m  not  sure  what  she  thought.  She
didn’t  do much  after  she  retired;  just watched  TV  all  day
and  sometimes  went  shopping  with  her  sister  Celia,  the
one Phillip gave my cat  to. After Pat’s  fall, Celia died and
Nancy  had  to  tell  her.  Some  days  she  remembered  and
others she didn’t. The Parkinson’s was eating her body and
the dementia was eating her mind. I t’s a sad thing. Maybe
it’s better that she will never truly know that her son did such
an evil thing.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন