মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

31.Meeting with Nancy



 I  wanted  to  see  her  for  many  different  reasons,  the
biggest being closure. Telling her that what she and Phillip
did was not okay in any way. Sitting across from her in that
little white  room  for  the  first  time  in  over  a  year  felt  very
familiar. I  guess the feeling came from knowing her longer
than  I  had  known my own mother. But  I  was nervous and
excited and overjoyed and thankful to see my mom for the
first  time;  seeing Nancy  did  not  feel  in  any way  like  that.
Seeing Nancy  felt almost  like nothing.  I   think  that  I   felt  like
that because there was really nothing solid between us. Our
whole  time  together was a  lie—a make-believe world  that
her husband created  to satisfy his needs. Our relationship
was built on a house of cards. One good blow and you find
the pieces scatter  in  the wind quite easily. Those are my
feelings  toward Nancy:  there was  really nothing  solid and
there  is nothing for me to hold on to now. At first when we
were  separated  at  the  Concord  police  station,  I   was
consumed  with  guilt  and  my  feelings  were  unsure  of
themselves. At the meeting she kept calling me Allissa and
I  would say,  “No, my name  is Jaycee,” and she  looked at
me and said she was sorry and said it was hard for her to
remember, and  then  she did  it again and  I   corrected her
again. I  think in total she called me Allissa three times and
in each instance I  would correct her. She said she knew in
her heart that something was going to happen at the parole
office that day. I  said that it was time, that we couldn’t have
continued like we were for much longer for the girls’ sake.
She asked  if  the girls ever  think of or mention her, and at
first I  didn’t know what to say, I  looked down and then back
up at her, and she said,  “They don’t, do  they?” with  these
really sad eyes. I  looked back down in my lap and told her
the truth. I  didn’t try to sugarcoat it. I  said that it’s not really
an  issue  right now, but  if when  they get older and wish  to
contact her, then that is their choice, but right now it hasn’t
been  an  issue.  I   said  what  she  and  Phillip  did  to  me
confuses them and they really need her to come clean with
anything else she knows about Phillip.  I   told her Phillip  is
not the man he portrayed himself to be. He never was. He
used  his  con  game  for  his  first  victim  and  then  again  on
Katie Calloway,  the victim he was  in prison  for before he
kidnapped me. It’s always been about what’s best for him.
All those times he would say the angels protected him that
day  that he  took me  from  the hill never once did he even
think that I  was the one in need of protection that day. I  also
asked  her  what  was  the  thing  that  Phillip  would  say …
something about how  if  I   knew about  something he did,  I
would never feel the same about him again … She looked
at me at first and said, What thing? I  repeated my question
again and she  thought  for a minute and  then  looked up at
me and asked if I  really wanted to know what that was and I
said, Yes I  do, I  want to know. And she said she had caught
him once  torturing an animal, and  I  said was  it one of my
cats,  and  she  nodded  her  head  a  few  times  in  the
affirmative and then said, “No, no it was a mouse I  caught
him torturing,” and I  said, “A mouse?” She said, “Yes, it was
a mouse.”  I   didn’t  expect  that  answer. But  all  I   said was,
Doesn’t  that  make  you  wonder  what  else  he  did?  How
about  all  the  times  we  didn’t  know  where  he  was?  I f  he
could hurt a helpless animal, doesn’t that make you wonder
what  else  he  was  capable  of? And  she  said  yes,  it  did
make her wonder. I ’d like to believe she felt badly for me all
those years, but in a way it was always a selfish act on her
part. Yes, she didn’t want me  to go  through all  that, but  to
turn  a  blind  eye  to  what  she  knew  he  was  doing  to  an
eleven-year-old  girl. How  could  she  entertain  little  girls  in
the  van  and  videotape  them  doing  the  splits  and  other
things,  all  for  her  husband?  I   guess  she  just  convinced
herself that she was doing it for love. T o me that is not love.
You do not follow someone blindly as they lead you over a
cliff.  She  said  that  she  was  scared  when  I   walked  in
because  she  thought  that  I   would  hate  her.  I   told  her
although I  do not hate her because I  do not want to pollute
my body with hate, what she and Phillip did to me and my
family was unforgivable. That my mom suffered more  than
any person should have  to suffer and my sister and aunt,
too,  and  the  other members  of my  family.  She  said  she
hoped one day that my mom could forgive her, and I  said I
wouldn’t hold out for that. She told me that call her crazy, but
she still loves Phillip. I  told her she needed to stop thinking
of what’s best for Phillip because he is going to be in jail for
the rest of his life and to start thinking about what was best
for her, and  if  she wanted  to  see her brothers again and
have  a  relationship  with  her  family  that  Phillip  tried  to
separate her  from.  I   told her  to  take care of herself. And  I
told her good-bye for the last time; I  told her I  would not be
back. That although we didn’t get to say good-bye to each
other at the parole office, that this is good-bye forever. And
then I  stood up and walked out.

Reflection

So  much  has  happened  since  that  meeting.  For  the
most part I’ve been able to focus on my daily life, but in the
back of my mind I  know that I  might eventually have to face
Nancy again. Walking away that day confirmed my right to
make my own decisions. The fate of Phillip and Nancy was
truly out of my hands. I  realized in that moment how much I
have  grown  when  Nancy’s  attorney  felt  it  necessary  to
challenge me  to call him. The El Dorado County Sheriff’s
Office supported me  to make my own decisions.  I  know  I
owe  the  Garridos  nothing  and  can’t  understand  why
Nancy’s attorney felt it necessary to ask me to support the
very people who abducted me.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন