মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

27.Milestones



Even though I  was closed off to the outside world in the
backyard,  the  outside world  did  find  a way  to  touch  us.  I
remember 9/11,  the day  the  terrorists  flew planes  into  the
Twin Towers,  killing  all  those  people.  I   remember  exactly
where  I  was when Phillip came  running outside  to  tell me.
He yelled in his sad voice, “Allissa, did you hear? Someone
just  crashed a plane  into one of  the Twin Towers!”  I  was
outside going to pee in my pee hole. My outdoor toilet was
full  and  Phillip  didn’t  like  to  empty  it  very  often.  I   made
myself a pee hole outside, so I  was out there when I  heard
the news. I  rushed back in the studio and the news was on
channel three. They were showing pictures of the buildings
smoking and helicopters circling. I t was so scary. I  kept on
thinking, I  wonder what else they were going to bomb. And
who  had  done  it?  Then  the  news  reporter  started  talking
about all the people that were trapped inside and I  started
crying. Phillip and Nancy were crying,  too. Phillip said  the
“angels” made those terrorists do what  they did and  that’s
why he had to expose the “angels” to the world one day. It
made more sense than anything else in the world did at the
time.
Other than 9/11, there were no real “events” in my life to
recall. I  didn’t really have any of the typical milestones that
other  kids  enjoy.  Like  first  crush,  first  date,  getting  my
driver’s  license.  I   remember,  I   think  I   was  twenty-one  or
twenty-two and  I  had gone with Phillip  for  the drive  to  the
paper  place  where  we  got  our  paper  for  the  printing
business in Concord. We got stuck in traffic coming home.
Traffic always makes me feel sick. I  felt like I  was going to
throw up, so he pulled over for a minute. He said it was too
bad I  was sick because he was going to teach me how to
drive that day. I  was feeling too sick to say anything, so I  just
shrugged. On the inside I  was so disappointed. I  wonder if
he really was going to teach me to drive that day. I  always
wanted to learn how to drive. My girls always thought it was
weird that I  didn’t know how to drive yet. They would ask me
why, and  I  would say because  I  didn’t want  to and maybe
one day  I  would. What else could  I  say? They asked  their
dad,  too, but he would say something  like,  “Allissa will be
able  to  learn how  to drive one day and  I  am really  looking
forward  to  that day.” Again  I  would wonder when  that day
would ever come. One time I  was out shopping with Nancy
and she said, why don’t you sit in the driver’s seat and give
it a  try?  I  was a  little scared.  I  was probably  twenty-five or
twenty-six at the time and had never even sat in the driver’s
seat before.  I t was a  foreign concept  to me even  though  I
longed to be able to drive. I  did get in the driver’s seat and
she  said  to  start  it  up,  and  I   did,  but  I   guess  I   hit  the
accelerator a  little  too  hard  and  almost  backed  into  the
truck  that  was  coming  in  behind  us.  Nancy  got  a  little
freaked out and  that was  the  last  time she  let me  try. So  I
didn’t learn to drive until I  was twenty-nine and out in the real
world.
I  can’t say  I   remember  turning sixteen.  I  was already a
mom. My  oldest  daughter was  almost  two  by  then.  I   also
never  got  the  chance  to  graduate  from  high  school
(although I  do hope to earn my GED one day).
I  do remember, however, when my sister, Shayna, turned
sixteen. I  was twenty-six and by then living in Phillip’s secret
backyard in my own tent! I  loved the freedom of having my
own  room. When  the printing business was making good
money, Phillip would give me and Nancy an allowance  to
spend.  I  bought  roses  to put around my  tent and used  the
bamboo  growing  in  the  back  to  make  my  own  fence
surrounding  my  room.  I   planted  morning  glories,  purple
ones,  and  they  grew  up  to  engulf my makeshift  fence  of
bamboo. I  made a walking path of stones to the front of my
room, so when  it rained  I  wouldn’t get sand  in  there.  I  had
my  own  things,  and  Nancy  and  I   would  go  thrift  store
shopping for clothes, knickknacks, and shoes.
I   remember waking up on  January 16th, 2006, and  the
very first thing I  did that morning was say out loud to nobody
in  particular,  ’cause  I  was  all  by myself  out  there,  I   said,
“Happy Sixteenth Birthday, Shayna!” I  really wished I  could
be there to celebrate with her on that day. I  wondered what
she looked like and if she was happy. I  wonder if she had a
sweet sixteen birthday party. I  so wanted to be with her on
that  day.  That’s  all  I   could  think  about  all  day  for  some
reason.  Phillip  Garrido  took many  things  from  me,  and
watching my sister grow up was one of them. I  have loved
my sister since the day she was born and dreamed about
one day being her best friend. I  was always a shy kid and
she  represented  a  twenty-four-hour  companion  for  me.
Although  it was hard sometimes  to watch how much Carl
loved  her more  than  me,  that  didn’t  change  my  feelings
toward  her.  I   have  never  really  thought  of  her  as my  half
sister, she’s always just been my little sis. I  wanted so much
to  do  things  with  her.  Like,  I   couldn’t  wait  for  her  to  get
older,  so we  could  ride  the bus  together.  I  would  see  the
other  girls with  their  sisters  and  couldn’t wait  for  the  day
when I  could introduce my little sister to them. Or if my sister
was being picked on, as her older sister I  could come to the
rescue and chase away all the bullies. I  had so many plans
for us, but all of it was stolen away.
When I  saw my now grown-up little sister for the first time
at age nineteen,  I  was amazed. She was so beautiful and
tall.  She  was  wearing  white  that  day.  My  first  thought:  I
wonder if she’s a nurse? But I  learned later she wasn’t. She
was still  in college and  trying  to decide what she wants  to
be  in  this world.  I   think  she  should  take  all  the  time  she
needs to figure that out. She’s very smart and perceptive. I t
has been hard getting to know her. I  have been so busy with
my  own  kids,  and  she  has  a  life  of  her  own.  From  her
perspective: She was a baby when Phillip took me from our
family. She never knew me. She grew up hearing about her
sister  “Jaycee”  that was kidnapped when she was eleven
years old, but she didn’t remember me. On the other hand, I
remember her and I  remember playing with her as a baby. I
just  didn’t  know  the  person  she  grew  up  to  be. We  have
plenty  of  time  to  build  a  lasting  friendship.  The  base  is
already  there, which  is our deep  love  for one another;  the
rest will come with time.

My sister Shayna actually taught me to drive. How ironic
is  that—my  little  sister  teaching me, her big  sister by  ten
years, to drive. I t was great, though. She was the first one to
say,  Come  on,  let’s  go  for  a  drive.  And  she  was  an
awesome  teacher. She was very  relaxed and calm.  I  was
shaking  and  scared  to  death  the  first  time  I   got  into my
mom’s car (yes, I  used my mom’s car). I  was giddy with joy,
and  adrenaline  was  pumping  through  my  veins.  I   was
ecstatic. I  learned to drive on a very winding lane. I  think in
the  long  run  that  was  great  experience  for  me.  After  I
received my driver’s  license,  thanks  to  the generosity of a
complete  stranger,  I   was  given  the  incredible  gift  of  a
brand-new car! T o me my car is much more than just a car;
to me  it  represents my newfound freedom.  I  can now  take
my girls places and go where I  want to go anytime.
By the time I  got my license, I  wasn’t the best driver, but I
was a very cautious driver. Still am. In fact, my mom teases
me about my “two hands on the wheel and looking straight
ahead” driving style. But  I   like  to be cautious and careful.
Driving  is becoming much more comfortable  for me now,
and I  feel like I  could drive just about anywhere, which is so
cool.  I   am  now  driving my  kids  back  and  forth  to  school
every day. How amazing is that! Who would have thought I
would  be  actually  driving my  girls  to  school  and  packing
their  lunches  and  being  able  to  take  a  walk  with  them
whenever we want.  I t  just  really amazes me  that  I  am now
free.


কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন