মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

4.The Secret Backyard





I follow the man. I  don’t have a choice. There is nowhere
to run. There is nowhere to hide. I  have no idea where I  am.
Everything is turned upside down. All I  can do is wait for my
mom to come and find me. I  wish I  could be back at home
right  now.  I   would  even  like  to  hear  a  criticism  from my
stepdad Carl;  anything  familiar would  be  okay. Anywhere
other  than  being  here with  this  stranger  that  has  hurt me
with  the stun gun. When we arrive at  the bathroom  in  this
stranger’s house, he closes and locks the door. The shower
is  running and  the strange man says  that he wants me  to
take my clothes off. No, I  say! Why does he want me to take
my clothes off?  I  am very self-conscious of my body. The
man says  if  I  do not do  it myself, he will do  it  for me.  I  am
too scared  to move, my body  is shaking, so  I  do what  is
easy: I  just stand there. He pulls down my pants and takes
off my shirt. I  am naked and very embarrassed. He stuffs all
my  clothes,  shoes,  and  backpack  in  a  bag. He  doesn’t
notice the tiny ring on my pinkie. I  am relieved. I  was afraid
he would take that, too. He takes off his clothes and I  try not
to  look. He asks  if  I  have ever seen a naked man before
and I  answer no. He says that’s hard to believe at my age. I
have never seen a naked man before and know that I ’m not
supposed to look. The strange man tells me to look at him. I
glance real quickly and want to start laughing in spite of my
fearfulness.  His  private  part  looks  so  funny.  In  spite  of
myself, I  smile, sometimes I  laugh when I ’m nervous; I  don’t
mean  to,  it  just comes out. The man says  to  touch  it.  I t  is
small and  squishy. The man  says  to make  it grow.  In my
mind I  think this man is crazy. This is the strangest weirdest
man on  the planet!  I  do not want  to  touch his private part,
but  the man  insists,  so  I  hold  it  in my hand.  I t  is  soft and
paler  than  the  skin  around  it. He  says  that’s  enough  and
tells me to get into the shower. I  want to resist, but the man
pushes me into the shower. He gets in the shower, too. He
tells me  to wash up and hands me  the soap.  I  want  to be
asleep  in  my  own  bed  not  here  in  the  shower  with  this
strange man. I  do as he tells me, not knowing what else to
do. He  then asks me  if  I  have ever shaved my underarms
and  vagina.  I   say no,  I  haven’t.  I   think  to myself,  this man
wants me to do the exact thing that I  have wanted to ask my
mom if I  can do, but why does he want me to do it in front of
him? My  upcoming  field  trip was  going  to  be  to  a water
park and I  had been wanting to ask my mom if it was okay if
I   could  shave  my  armpits  and  around  my  legs.  I   was
embarrassed  to be seen with all  that hair, but  I  also didn’t
know how  to ask my mom. The night before,  I   remember
going to her bedroom wanting to ask her “the question.” But
instead I  just sat there and never asked. I  wonder what my
mom would have said if I  had asked her “the question” last night.

Now  I  am with  this stranger who  is asking me strange
questions  and  all  I   can  think  about  is my mom. My mom
must be worried. Has anyone told my mom that I  was taken
by some stranger? How will she find me? The man shaves
my armpits and legs and then he says he’s going to shave
my vagina hair. Why? I  think to myself. When he’s done, he
says  I   can  get  out  of  the  shower.  I   feel  like  I   am  in  a
nightmare  that  I   have  no  control  over.  Silent  tears  start
spilling over my cheeks. They feel hot against my cold skin.
I   start  to  shiver.  I  am  so  cold.  I   try  to  stop  the  tears.  I   tell
myself  I  must be brave.  I t  feels  like my  life  is not my own
anymore.  My  whole  body  feels  heavy  and  I   just  want  to
collapse. This cannot be real, I  tell myself. I t’s only a dream.
I  will soon wake up  in my own bed. The man hands me a
towel.  I   gladly wrap myself  in  it.  I t  feels warm  and  safe.  I
want to bury my head in the towel. The feeling of safety the
towel  creates  brings  memories  of  when  my  mom  would
wrap me up after my baths—the floodgate in me opens and
my silent tears become giant sobs. The man looks like he
doesn’t know how to respond; he tells me to calm down and
be quiet,  that he  is not going  to do anything more  today.
The man takes me in his arms and offers comfort. I  do not
want comfort from this awful man, but there is no one else
here and  I   reluctantly  lean  into what comfort he gives. Up
until now I  have not cried one time. Only on the inside. Now I
feel like a rabbit being comforted by a lion. I  am so scared.
My  tears continue  to run down my cheeks;  I  can  feel  them
wet  and  warm.  They  once  again  become  silent  tears
running down my face into nothingness. The man is saying
things,  but  I ’m  not  listening.  The man  speaks  again  in  a
louder  voice,  I   become afraid  because  his  voice  is
stronger;  I  make an effort  to  listen. He says he’s going  to
take me somewhere else and that I  must be very quiet or I
will get in trouble; if I ’m quiet and a good girl, everything will
be  fine.  I   ask  him  if  I   can  put  my  clothes  back  on.  He
chuckles and says no.  I  ask him when  I  can go home. He
says he doesn’t know but he will work on it. I  say my family
doesn’t have a lot of money, but they would pay a ransom to
get me back. He looks at me and smiles and says, really? I
said he just needs to let my mom know where I  am. He just
stares at me.
I  walk in front of him down the small flight of stairs to the
downstairs porch. Once again he puts the blanket on me. I
have  nothing  on  but  the  towel  and  the  blanket  now.  My
backpack  is  gone.  My  clothes  are  gone.  My  shoes  are
gone. All I  have is the tiny butterfly ring on my pinkie that my
mom gave me. I  have nothing but this stranger and my feet
to  guide  me.  The  first  thing  I   feel  is  the  hardness  of
concrete. Then my  feet  feel  the  tickling  cold  sensation  of
wet grass. I  can’t see my feet because he is holding me by
my  neck  and my  head  can’t  go  down. But  I   can  feel  the
ground  and  I   can  hear  a  train.  I   think  to  myself  I   must
remember  that  there  is  a  train  nearby  so  that when  I   am
found  I   can  tell  whoever  finds  me  that  I   was  being  held
somewhere where I  can hear a train. The next thing my feet
feel  are  sticks  or  some  kind  of  small  branches  and  dirt.
Some are pointy and sharp, and I  can also feel rocks which
hurt  my  feet.  I   try  to  tiptoe,  but  it’s  hard  because  he  is
leading the way and walks very rapidly. The rocks pass and
now I  feel we are back on hard cold concrete. I  hear a gate
or  fence  being  pushed  open  and  closed  behind  us. We
walk a  little  further and  I  hear him  fiddling with something
that rattles and jingles. I t sounds like a lock. I  briefly wonder
where  the  other  person  from  the  car  is.  I   feel  teeny  tiny
pebbles  on  my feet. He  tells me  to watch my  step,  that  I
need  to  step  up  to  the  step  in  front  of me.  I  miss  a  little
because  I  can’t see  it, but he has my arm, so  I  don’t  fall.  I
make the step up and feel hard carpet on the bottom of my
feet now. Not the soft kind but the low-to-the-ground kind. I
hear  the door shut behind me. He  leads me a  little  further
into  this new room. Then we enter another door. He  takes
the blanket off my head, and  I  see a bunch of blankets on
the floor. Like what I  used to sleep on when we moved into
Carl’s apartment.  I t only had one bedroom, so Carl said  I
could make  a  “pallet”  in  the  living  room.  That’s  what  he
called  putting  an  egg-crate mattress with  blankets  on  the
floor. This looks like that minus the egg-crate mattress. He
says I  can sleep there. All of a sudden I  realize how tired I
am.  I   feel  like  I   can  barely  stand  up.  My  whole  body  is
shaking from head to toe. He says he will be back later and
he wants me  to stay  in here and  to be quiet. He says  the
door  is  locked  and  reminds me  of  the  dogs  outside  that
don’t  like  trespassers  and  says  to  them  I   would  be  a
trespasser. He says he has to put handcuffs on me, but that
they have fur on them so they won’t hurt too much. I  shake
my head no and say that I  won’t try to get away. He says he
has to because he doesn’t trust me yet. He says to put my
hands  behind my  back.  I   continue  to  sit  on  the  floor. He
bends down and turns my body so he can put the cuffs on
me. I  can feel the cold metal and the soft fur. I  don’t like the
way  the cuffs  feel heavy on my wrists. He helps me  to  lie
down on my side.  I t  is not comfortable  to  lay on your side
with your hands behind your back. He says he will be back
later to check on me and bring me something to eat. Then
he  is gone and  I  can hear  the  lock being put back on  the
door. The tears start again, softly at first then my silent sobs
rack my body. I  cry myself to sleep alone.


Reflection

T o this day when I  close my eyes and think back, I  can
still hear the sound of that lock. I  can hear the squeak of the
big,  thick  soundproof  door  closing  me  in.  I t  gives  me  a
strange feeling in the pit of my stomach when I  think of the
many long hours I  spent in that room all alone.
Today  I   sometimes  struggle with  feelings  of  loneliness
even when I  am not alone. I  think this feeling began in that
room  Phillip  put  me  in.  Hours  turned  into  days,  days  to
weeks, and weeks to months and then years. I  have spent a
lifetime alone, or so it seems to me sometimes.
I  have gained a lot of freedom this past year. Being with
my  family and meeting new  friends and  reuniting with old
has been a dream  come  true. People  and  animals  keep
the loneliness away. I  know the feeling of loneliness is just
in my head because I  am not alone, but it still creeps back
at times. I  do enjoy time to myself. I  love to read and write
and  spend  time  with  my  pets.  I   don’t  always  mind  the
feeling of loneliness; it has given me the time to know who I
am.  However,  my  mind  pulls  me  back  to  those  days  of
confinement  and  I   feel myself  needing  to  call  a  friend  or
make  a  plan  for  lunch—anything  to  not  be  alone.  I   am
working  through  these  feelings.  I  enjoy  life  so much more
now, and  I   try hard  to appreciate each and every day, but
deep down I  am still afraid it will be taken away.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন