মঙ্গলবার, ১৫ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৩

26.Firsts for Me





My life has changed so much since last summer. I  am
free to be a mother to my girls. I  am free to drive. I  am free
o  say  I   have  a  family.  My  family  is  my  own.  I   have  my
daughters, my mom, my sister, and my aunt. I  am rebuilding
relationships with my  extended  family  and  friends.  I   have
met  so many  new  people.  It’s  amazing  to  know  so many
people and to count some of them as my close friends. For
so long I  was confined to knowing just a few people. When I
was in captivity, there were times that I  longed to talk to the
girl at the cash register if only about the weather, but Nancy
was always there with me, and I  know it would have gotten
back  to  Phillip.  And  then  the  lecture  would  ensue.  I ’ve
earned  that  verbal  abuse  can  be  just  as  damaging  as
physical abuse and take longer to heal from. But I ’m doing
hat as well. I ’m healing from the physical and verbal abuse I
endured for  so  long.  I t  has  not  been  an  easy  road.  I   got
ucky, though, by being placed with a psychologist who has
a unique approach to traditional therapy, and I  believe she
s a big part of why I  am making as much progress as I  am.
With  her  help  I   am  learning  to  speak  up  for  myself—
something  that  if  I   did  before  was  always  met  with
opposition and Phillip telling me why I  was wrong. I t’s hard
to stand up for yourself when all the other person does is tell
you  how wrong  you  are  and  give  you  reasons why  he  is
right.  I ’m  now  able  to make  decisions  for myself  and my
girls,  and  although  they  have  not  always  been  the  right
choices,  they were still mine  to make and  that  feels good
despite  the bad decision. One example of  this  is going  to
Sly Park with my daughters for a friend’s birthday campout.
I  wanted  to go but was warned about  the dangers of  the
paparazzi  and  snapping  some  pictures.  I   am  headstrong
and I  wanted my girls to be able to see the Perseid meteor
shower  in  the darkness of a campsite, so  I  chose  to  take
them. We had a fabulous time camping out under the stars.
We  laid our blankets and sleeping bags and watched as
the flashes of light darted across the sky. We also played in
the lake and ate pie for dinner and hamburgers for dessert!
We had a great time together and didn’t realize our privacy
was being  violated. Upon  returning home and  learning of
the  pictures  that  were  taken  that  weekend,  I   was
immediately saddened and embarrassed. I  also felt horribly
that I  had inadvertently put my girls in the public eye again.
What was supposed to be a fun trip before school started
turned into a nightmare. Thank goodness for Nancy Seltzer,
my public relations manager. She was able to get the girls’
faces  blurred  in  the  tabloid  pictures,  saving  them  from
unwanted  attention. All  I   want  is  for my  girls  to  have  the
privacy and  freedom they deserve  in  the days ahead and,
thanks to NS, we can have that awhile longer.
Another  emotion  I   felt  during  that  ordeal  was  doubt  in
myself.  I   felt  I   could  no  longer  be  trusted  to make  sound
decisions. I  felt that because I  had made the decision and it
turned out to be the wrong choice, then all my future choices
would  be  no  good,  too.  I t  took  a  few  sessions  with  my
therapist  to  get me  to  see  that  it was  okay  to make  the
decision  I  did. That  it was better  that  I  went despite some
advice that it could be dangerous because it was a public
place, because  if  I  had not gone and heeded  the advice  I
was given, I  would never have truly known if it was safe or
not  to go and would have  resented  the advice. So  it was
better  to  have made  the  decision  I   did  and  learn  from  it.
Also, not all choices are black and white. We all have  the
right  to make up our own minds about stuff, but  it’s better
when you have all the facts and go in to make an informed
decision.  Looking  back,  I   should  have  researched where
Sly Park was and asked some questions about how public
it was before I  made the decision to go.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন